Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, is it too early to test?

1. Back To Top    #1

Madisonville, LA

New pool, is it too early to test?

I just received my TF test kit yesterday; nice!

My pool was finished this past Saturday; final vac, SWG setup, etc. The water is crystal clear and 60 degrees. Is it worth testing right now? I don't want to set a false baseline due to water temp or other issues. Should I wait until the weather warms up?
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    No, you should go ahead and test. 60 degrees is the point where you really need to start being concerned about algae, and it's better to go slowly when adjusting alkalinity, CYA and calcium anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD
    Keep in mind that the chlorine and PH tests should be done with water straight out of the pool while the CYA test should be done with water that has been allowed to warm up indoors. The other tests don't care about the water temperature as much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School