Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Salt Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Greenwood, Indiana

Testing Salt Level

I have purchased the CircuPool RJ-30 SWG. Looking around the forum, I can't locate the preferred method for testing the salt level. I use the Taylor 2006 kit. Their site has a reagent test but the price is a bit salty. What do you recommend?

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl, Infinity 2000 Automatic Cover
    Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Polaris 380, Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Testing Salt Level

A lot of people report good success with the Aqua-chek strips but I prefer the K-1766 drop based kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

West Monroe, La

I use the Aqua Chek strips, they work good, and results have been fairly accurate with my panel read out.
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

4. Back To Top    #4
    Roma - Italy

Since 3 years I personally use an electronic TDS meter Hanna HI96302 with excellent results.

From time to time I check his precision by preparing a solution of 3,5 g of salt in a liter of distilled water and checking that the meter shows the expected value, 3500 in my case (sorry for the measure units, We are in Europe) but I never had to tune it up again in this 3 years periods.

The first time I recommend to test a sample of water to see how many other minerals it contains because the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) measure all the minerals, not only the salt, then I add this value to the wanted salt level, for instance if the fresh water has 50ppm reading, then my target should be 3550.

So far so good .....
    33x15 (17000 gallons) feet
    Magiline Magiclassic
    SWG Compu-Pool CPSC-36
    PH Control through Muriatic Acid