Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: other cya test?

1. Back To Top    #1

other cya test?

i've been searching for hours and i cant find that post about the other name of the taylor cya test instead of the normal one thats in the recommended taylor kit ... I have bad eyes and its hard to read my cya readings in that small view tube .. so i was thinking about trying the one that the dot can be moved up and down in the solution .. might help me .. any other recommendations or atleast the model of cya test im talking about?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sault Ontario

Re: other cya test?

Since CYA test is done so infrequently maybe that's just one you can take to the pool store?
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

The only issue on taking it to the PS is that, that's the one test they're worse at.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I agree with Dave. CYA is a tough test to perform consistently. That's why most of us take a reading, pour it back, mix again, take another reading, again and again, until we get several that match! It makes a huge difference whether it's full sun or overcast as well. I doubt the pool store will take that much time. And if they use test strips, forget it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

England, UK

The test that I use for CYA is good, so long as you practice a consistent technique. It works in the same way as the black dot test, but takes the measurement electronically. You have to test immediately, otherwise the precipitate starts to settle. You can shake up the sample and test it again and again, rather like pouring the mixture out and back again in the black dot test. I would think this is a really good test for people who have trouble with their eyes, because it eliminates a lot of variables, but on the downside the kit is a lot more expensive, and I doubt it comes as a standalone test - mine is part of a colorimeter kit.
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).