Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Do-it-yourself calcium removal?

Do-it-yourself calcium removal?

Hi all, I have very hard water in my region. This company was on the news last year: http://www.calsaway.com/arizona_pool..._the_press.php If I recall, the news showed them putting something in that precipitated most of the calcium to the bottom off the pool, then sucked it out via hoses to filter screens on a truck, then they returned the clear water back into the pool.

Does anyone know of any DIY method to remove decent amounts of calcium from pool water?
    Intex Sequoia Spirit above ground 16' round pool, 5,000 gals. ,vinyl liner.
    Intex Saltwater Chlorine generator/pump/filter combo system
    Test kit: TF-100

Re: Do-it-yourself calcium removal?

Nope.

Calsaway does reverse osmosis. It's more complicated than this, but essentially think of a super-fine screen. It filters out everything that isn't a water molecule. Everything. Calcium, salt, metals, cya, chlorine...

Most of your bottled drinking waters (maybe all of them) have water purified by reverse osmosis, and then they add minerals back to make it taste better!

For the homeowner, it's drain and refill. Rainwater is good, as it has no calcium in it!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Those reverse osmosis companies do a pretty good job. I like to think of it as dialysis for your pool. Not sure on pricing, but they are quite effective.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Water softener resins also work. Takes time to get a low CH level, and then you have to soften your fill water. I did it on my pool. Went from a high of 600 ppm CH down to 280 ppm.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

It could be an Oxalic acid treatment.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.