To Close or not to Close?

I do not close. We do not have much freezing weather but when we do I run my pump. Aside from the freezing weather I turn my run time down to about 5 to 6 hours daily. I do not have a cover and I like for my pool to look good since we spend alot of time outside during the winter months. I think it is mostly personal preference.

jasonknox said:
I do not close. We do not have much freezing weather but when we do I run my pump. Aside from the freezing weather I turn my run time down to about 5 to 6 hours daily. I do not have a cover and I like for my pool to look good since we spend alot of time outside during the winter months. I think it is mostly personal preference.
You run your pump overnight during the nights it is supposed to freeze?

I'm 3 hours or so north of you and I didn't close last year-----------even with that almost solid week of "it never got above freezing". You know dang well that's highly unusual for us! I just wrapped the pipes and ran the pump.

htownjeeper said:
jasonknox said:
You run your pump overnight during the nights it is supposed to freeze?

My SWG acts as the pump timer and it will turn the pump on when the temp gets to low to protect things from freezing.

Dalandlord said:
My SWG acts as the pump timer and it will turn the pump on when the temp gets to low to protect things from freezing.

With SWGs, remember they do not produce Chlorine in cold weather, most stop working when the water reaches either 60 or 50 degrees. It's then that I put a floater in the pool with a stick or 2 of Chlorine. Or you could pour a gallon of bleach in the pool weekly too.

htownjeeper said:
I don't have a SWG. Does that change anything?

If you don't close the pool, which is something I know nothing about, just be sure to run the pump when it is going to freeze. We don't get much freezing here either, everyone here just runs it overnight when it is going to freeze. I can only remember once that it ran throughout the day as freeze protection. We rarely get more than 4-6 hours or freezing temps. If it's a close call some nights it's better to be safe than sorry.

Not to hijack a thread, hopefully TS Nate can give you guys a little rain. I just saw some model runs and they don't have a clue where it is going. The speghetti models literally go from Miami to South Mexico.

Thanks, but it's not looking good for rain. These wildfires are getting out of control and rain would be a blessing. A nice tropical storm would fit the bill for sure.

Looks like I won't shut down my pool this winter. I'll just keep a keen eye on the weather forecasts when it gets really cold.

Thanks everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.