Anyone close pool without draining at all? (Cold Climate)

DistantHorizon

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
First year with this pool. An acquaintance who has worked on pools for a living for a long time says I don't need to drain below skimmer/returns to winterize... mentioned a plug I could buy to thread into the skimmer that would aid in blowing out as well as accommodating ice expansion; blow out & plug skimmer/returns; no antifreeze.

Does anyone else do this? I'm in Kansas, things freeze up pretty good here. Times are lean and water is expensive to just drain out.

I know when we looked at the house the first time, before the pool was opened, whoever had closed the pool had lowered the water.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Anyone close pool without draining at all? (Cold Climate

Up here in Minnesota, I drain ~6 inches below the skimmer (about the same below my return). I disconnect my pipes from skimmer and return. I then blow the pipes that go back to my equipment out and cap them with rubber caps. I do not take chances...a little water next spring is worth it.

The only in ground pools that I drain are those with tile. Skimmers get either Ultra Gizmos or blow through extentions. Return lines get appropriately sized rubber plugs that expand with a wing nut.

Above grounds may either drain to the skimmer mouth or block the skimmer with a plate.

Scott

Inground vinyl/fiberglass pool solid safetycover, i drop water level bout an inch fom middle of skimmer..why? NO IDEA lol, but every year when they open they are ann inch higher

Solid tarp cover, bottom of skimmer, weight of snow forces water in pool up

Mesh... tell the homeowner bottom of skimmer, and if they didnt forget how to turn the skimmer off from the last time i told them ;) then i say 2 inches below skimmer ...usually still high when we open

Most solid safety covers are sewn through. A little water will weep in.

Pools with tile lines should also get a step pump. This will drain off any water that gets near the tile line such as during snow load conditions.

It is placed on the step of the swim out, if the pool has one or on the 1st or 2nd shallow end step. I prefer the swim out because it's step is usually an inch or so lower. If it is going on the 2nd shallow end step, I look for something to raise it up some.

I can count on one hand the number of times I needed to add anti-freeze. It has always been in flooded suction situations. For those that like there anyway, always use biodegradable, never automotive.

Scott

DistantHorizon,

If you have a looploc cover or one that allows water through, you can drain 6" below the skimmers, close them up, add a little antifreeze within the skimmer and by the time spring arrives, you will have water near the entrance of your skimmer, from my past experiences... Had to add very little water by spring time. Snow fills it back up. All pipes are blown out prior to plugging them.

Sorry, I failed to mention I will be purchasing a cheap winter cover. Previous homeowner said the cover we have now was purchased too small, and I remember it was falling in on one of the occasions when we looked at the house before purchase.

Pretty sure the skimmer thing the pool-guy-acquaintance suggested was like the one Leebo links to in post #2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

When my pool acquaintance mentioned not draining, he said something about elbows for returns I could get, but I didn't quite catch it. When I posted, I thought someone here would mention them.

Today while looking through the big tub of pool Crud, I had an "aha" moment when I found this stuff:

Pipes.jpg

So apparently this pool HAS been closed without draining before. I already have 3 little "snorkels" to thread into returns, with plugs to go on the top, above the water level. Also have skimmer gizmo with plug in the top for blowing out through said gizmo. Assuming the straight pipe was "poor man's skimmer gimzo"?

Ordering my cover tomorrow, and going to close pool next weekend. Checked water temperature today, it is down to 62 degrees. :)

That snorkle idea seems BRILLIANT. Supprised I haven't seen it anywhere else.
Should make blowing out/plugging far easier if you don't drain below the returns, as it essentially moves the returns up above the water level.

Also makes it easier to add antifreeze, as the 90 prevents the need for a funnel.

The only devices there I use are the rubber winter plugs and the Alden Leeds Blow Through Extention with it's shown winter plug. This is my preferred device with Ultra Gizmos coming in a close second for winterizing in ground pool skimmers.

The PVC snorkels may present issues with pool covers.

Properly sealed lines don't need antifreeze. If air can't get out when it's sealed, water can't get in. IMO, adding antifreeze is wasted money. You would need enough to get to the frost line. That can be quite a bit with a 50' line and 2" pipe.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.