Typical plumbing parts placement for AG setup

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
Hello all,

I'm getting ready to plumb up some equipment here and was wondering what everyone's consensus is on fittings and such. I have a pump/filter that will have 1.5" plumbing that's located approximately 25' away from the pool. (I'm placing my equipment under my main covered deck so that it can be away from the pool where I don't have to look at it, and it will be slightly protected from the elements). The plumbing will be underground.

Now I can set this thing up no problem using standard slip fittings and glue - it's really a no-brainer. Where I'm going with this is that I see these setups using unions - I want to take advantage of them and make sure I do this right the first time, but I suppose I don't understand exactly where the best place to put them. So I have to start simple - why use them? I suppose so that certain sections can be removed easily, but from which location and why? Which part of the plumbing do I want to be able to remove? I'll have threaded fittings for the pump and filter, and again for the skimmer and return. I suppose this is where they would be utilized?

I have the system planned out with various 45's (I like to use 45's instead of 90's where I can to cut down on head loss), and ball valves. I can try and provide a system diagram, but I don't think it will help for the super basic question I'm asking here.

Sorry for the dumb question, but you have to start somewhere. :lol:

Visualize your plumbing and use a union where ever you would need to saw pipe to remove a piece of equipment (i.e. pump suction and discharge, multiport valve inlet and outlet, & waste line if it's hard piped, etc.).

Thanks for the clarification. Right now, I'm looking at unions basically where all of the main connections are that I listed above - skimmer, return, pump, and filter.

I've never used unions before in this type of setup - how reliable are they? I mean, I can stand leaks after a few years or something but not complete blow outs or anything. The last thing that I need is the entire contents of my pool being pumped out while I'm on vacation or something.

Unions are GOOD things to have - they make quick swaps for replacements easy. They also don't leak when tightened properly - you want it tight enough, but not TOO tight that you need a wrench to undo it. I've had my stuff unioned for years and don't think anything of it.

scooperhsd said:
Unions are GOOD things to have - they make quick swaps for replacements easy. They also don't leak when tightened properly - you want it tight enough, but not TOO tight that you need a wrench to undo it. I've had my stuff unioned for years and don't think anything of it.

Thanks for the input. I suppose the worst that could happen is one of the seals would start leaking a bit. Knowing that you've had yours setup this way for years with no problems gives me the confidence I need to make my decision. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.