Cover Installation Question - No drain

Mar 10, 2010
We recently purchased a house with an old and odd indoor pool. For a number of reasons we decided to renovate with safety being a huge factor. We hired a contractor who promised to get things done quickly and had a great looking plan.

Fast forward to today. We have a number of issues but the largest being that the contractor did not run a drain line out of of the new automatic cover box. The local cover installer indicated that we needed something (the contractor was going to have it just drain down into the dirt below the foundation it seems. I am thinking that a pump of some kind is going to be necessary as we are too far into the project to install a proper drain. My hope is to have the water pumped to the drain around the pool coping which should allow it to escape. We unfortunately don't have an electrical line running to the cover box, but I think I can run one from an existing outlet without too much tile issues.

Any thoughts folks have would be much appreciated as I have essentially had to take over this project.

The concrete box will hold water if there is no drain or pump. There should be electric to the box if the motor is electric.

You might be able to core drill a drain through the concrete.

A hammer drill should do it too. I don't see a need for a core drill. They are a PITA to set up and space will be limited. The hammer drill, OTOH, won't have the space restrictions, especially if a long bit is used to keep the drill out of the box.

Scott

Thanks for all the responses. I think we are going to leave it without a drain for now and use a portable electric submersible pump if necessary. If it becomes too much of a hassle, we will probably add some time of permanent pump by running a dedicated line into the box.

It seems to me the lessor of two evils is to deal with some water in the concrete box as compared to letting it drain into the dirt directly underneath the concrete. My guess is that the majority of the time the cover will be on the pool anyway as we are weekend users of our pool at best.

I know when I have alot of people or lots of waves quite a bit of water (guess 20 / 80 gal) gets splashed into the cover vault, it has a drain to open air downhill from the pool. When a couple people are swimming gently not much water goes in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.