Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover Installation Question - No drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover Installation Question - No drain

We recently purchased a house with an old and odd indoor pool. For a number of reasons we decided to renovate with safety being a huge factor. We hired a contractor who promised to get things done quickly and had a great looking plan.

Fast forward to today. We have a number of issues but the largest being that the contractor did not run a drain line out of of the new automatic cover box. The local cover installer indicated that we needed something (the contractor was going to have it just drain down into the dirt below the foundation it seems. I am thinking that a pump of some kind is going to be necessary as we are too far into the project to install a proper drain. My hope is to have the water pumped to the drain around the pool coping which should allow it to escape. We unfortunately don't have an electrical line running to the cover box, but I think I can run one from an existing outlet without too much tile issues.

Any thoughts folks have would be much appreciated as I have essentially had to take over this project.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover Installation Question - No drain

I would wait and see. I can't see a lot of water getting in the box with an indoor pool. The bottom gets squeegeed when it rolls in. The drain is for when there is still some rain water on top making it in the box.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

That certainly is the easiest approach. Should a drain have been put in though or is it not necessary?

4. Back To Top    #4

Depends on the dirt. If its mostly clay, yeah, I would have. If its sandy, not likely.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the box concrete?

Is the cover motor electric or hydraulic?

6. Back To Top    #6

The box is concrete and the motor is electric.

7. Back To Top    #7

The concrete box will hold water if there is no drain or pump. There should be electric to the box if the motor is electric.

You might be able to core drill a drain through the concrete.

8. Back To Top    #8

A hammer drill should do it too. I don't see a need for a core drill. They are a PITA to set up and space will be limited. The hammer drill, OTOH, won't have the space restrictions, especially if a long bit is used to keep the drill out of the box.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the responses. I think we are going to leave it without a drain for now and use a portable electric submersible pump if necessary. If it becomes too much of a hassle, we will probably add some time of permanent pump by running a dedicated line into the box.

It seems to me the lessor of two evils is to deal with some water in the concrete box as compared to letting it drain into the dirt directly underneath the concrete. My guess is that the majority of the time the cover will be on the pool anyway as we are weekend users of our pool at best.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know when I have alot of people or lots of waves quite a bit of water (guess 20 / 80 gal) gets splashed into the cover vault, it has a drain to open air downhill from the pool. When a couple people are swimming gently not much water goes in.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.