Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skim vac

1. Back To Top    #1

skim vac

I want to use a skim vac .. I bought one with a rubber gasket .. without a right angle .. i placed it over the skimmer and the water line just touches the tip of the skim vac where the hose goes .. if i got one with a right angle it would most likely go above the water level allowing air to stay in when i try connecting the hose .. I haven't seen any skim vacs with just a hole to slide the hose into below the water line .. is there any other solution besides not useing one?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skim vac

When the hose slips over the skim vac, the end of the hose should be below the water line and not leak.

3. Back To Top    #3

I use one with the 90º ell and it doesn't allow air to stay in the hose when vacuuming.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

the thing I'm having trouble with is in order to put the hose on it has to be lifted above water lever which lets air in and the slide over the skim vac instead of connecting it under water
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

5. Back To Top    #5

Fill the hose with water, place the skim vac in place and then quickly connect the hose. As long as you do it quickly, there will only be a small amount of air in the line, which will not be a problem.