still new, need pH advice

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
1st season in new gunite/plaster pool. pool stored during June & July, TFP all of August. TA brought down in August from 170 to 90.
Current numbers:
FC 5.0
cc .5
TC 5.5
pH 7.7
TA 90
CH 350
CYA 60
I usually add 2 cups 3 oz 31% MA each night to bring pH down to 7.5. It always rises up to 7.7/7.8 by the next night. I think this is from the new plaster.
My question is: will I get to the point where my pH stabilizes and I don't have to add acid? Or should I keep testing & adding acid? I do not want pH above 7.8 so I'm afraid to let it go for 2 days to see what happens to the pH.
Also, very windy here so I'm getting tons of leaves in the pool for the first time this season. Aside from dumping the skimmer baskets and leaf bagging frequently, do I need to do anything else, like increasing FC? I don't want algae!
Thanks

Yes, it will stabilize eventually and acid demand will go down. Might take a year, though.

You should maintain higher FC. 5 is the minimum recommended by the pool calculator for your CYA. It doesn't need many leaves to start using it up. Shoot for 7 or 8 to give you a margin or safety.

still have questions relating to my old post
I have been adding 2cu3oz acid daily for pH rising to7.7/7.8 to bring it down to 7.5
My TA dropped from 140 to 80 now.
Current chems:
temp 68
fc 5.5
cc .5
tc 6.0
TA 80
CH 320
CYA 55
salt 3400
pH 7.6 or 7.7 (I have a hard time being sure) not adding acid today. I'm planning on seeing if pH will stabilize for a while at this low TA

I'm sure my pH will rise to 7.8 over the next few days, due to the fairly new (10 month old) plaster. I am not comfortable bringing the TA down below 80, but I'm sure it will drop when I add acid for the pH. I have read a lot on Pool school/in the forums that TA at 60 is fine, but my manual for the pool heater said TA below 80 can cause corrosion. Also, the temp is dropping so my csi will become very negative at a low temp and low TA.

so, my question is: how do I control pH and TA? I'm pretty confused/concerned I'm going to damage my pool equip so any advice would be helpful.

You can control them separately.

1. To Raise pH - add 20 Mule Team Borax - TA will move very little

2. To lower pH - Use muriatic acid - TA will come down with it

3. To raise TA - add Baking soda - pH will move very little

4. To lower TA - use acid/aeration method described in pool school

I am a repeat offender of ignoring csi. It has very little bearing on almost all pools almost all of the time. Many people on this forum have never tested for it and I never intend to. That said, I keep my CH, pH, and TA within the guidelines established here so I am comfortable that I should never have a scaling issue in my pool.

Thanks duraleigh. I have been keeping my #s in line with tfp since august. I guess what im asking is, if i need to lower pH and raise TA then what order do I add acid and baking soda in? Also, i have some alkalinity up from the ps, I'm assuming thats just expensive baking soda so I should use it the same way? Any tips on adding it and does it ever lead to cloudiness/ other issues if used in the correct amount?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lowering pH and raising TA can be done one right after the other. I would suggest lower the pH, circulate for an hour or so, test for TA and then raise it to your target value per the pool calculator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.