Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: still new, need pH advice

1. Back To Top    #1

still new, need pH advice

1st season in new gunite/plaster pool. pool stored during June & July, TFP all of August. TA brought down in August from 170 to 90.
    Current numbers:
    FC 5.0
    cc .5
    TC 5.5
    pH 7.7
    TA 90
    CH 350
    CYA 60
    I usually add 2 cups 3 oz 31% MA each night to bring pH down to 7.5. It always rises up to 7.7/7.8 by the next night. I think this is from the new plaster.
    My question is: will I get to the point where my pH stabilizes and I don't have to add acid? Or should I keep testing & adding acid? I do not want pH above 7.8 so I'm afraid to let it go for 2 days to see what happens to the pH.
    Also, very windy here so I'm getting tons of leaves in the pool for the first time this season. Aside from dumping the skimmer baskets and leaf bagging frequently, do I need to do anything else, like increasing FC? I don't want algae!
    Thanks
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: still new, need pH advice

Yes, it will stabilize eventually and acid demand will go down. Might take a year, though.

You should maintain higher FC. 5 is the minimum recommended by the pool calculator for your CYA. It doesn't need many leaves to start using it up. Shoot for 7 or 8 to give you a margin or safety.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

ditto re keep that pH in range; very important.

Where are you located? Put it in your sinature or wherever so we can help you better. Ex: in cold climates the reactions slow down so things change a bit
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

located in Central Illinois
    I'll put that in my sig
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

The SWG will always cause some PH rise.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep lowering the pH to 7.5 until the TA gets to 70 ppm and then keep the pH at 7.8.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can lower the pH to 7.2; that may make it so you can go 2 days.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

still have questions relating to my old post
    I have been adding 2cu3oz acid daily for pH rising to7.7/7.8 to bring it down to 7.5
    My TA dropped from 140 to 80 now.
    Current chems:
    temp 68
    fc 5.5
    cc .5
    tc 6.0
    TA 80
    CH 320
    CYA 55
    salt 3400
    pH 7.6 or 7.7 (I have a hard time being sure) not adding acid today. I'm planning on seeing if pH will stabilize for a while at this low TA

I'm sure my pH will rise to 7.8 over the next few days, due to the fairly new (10 month old) plaster. I am not comfortable bringing the TA down below 80, but I'm sure it will drop when I add acid for the pH. I have read a lot on Pool school/in the forums that TA at 60 is fine, but my manual for the pool heater said TA below 80 can cause corrosion. Also, the temp is dropping so my csi will become very negative at a low temp and low TA.

so, my question is: how do I control pH and TA? I'm pretty confused/concerned I'm going to damage my pool equip so any advice would be helpful.
    Central Illinois

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You can control them separately.

1. To Raise pH - add 20 Mule Team Borax - TA will move very little

2. To lower pH - Use muriatic acid - TA will come down with it

3. To raise TA - add Baking soda - pH will move very little

4. To lower TA - use acid/aeration method described in pool school

I am a repeat offender of ignoring csi. It has very little bearing on almost all pools almost all of the time. Many people on this forum have never tested for it and I never intend to. That said, I keep my CH, pH, and TA within the guidelines established here so I am comfortable that I should never have a scaling issue in my pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks duraleigh. I have been keeping my #s in line with tfp since august. I guess what im asking is, if i need to lower pH and raise TA then what order do I add acid and baking soda in? Also, i have some alkalinity up from the ps, I'm assuming thats just expensive baking soda so I should use it the same way? Any tips on adding it and does it ever lead to cloudiness/ other issues if used in the correct amount?
    Central Illinois

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Lowering pH and raising TA can be done one right after the other. I would suggest lower the pH, circulate for an hour or so, test for TA and then raise it to your target value per the pool calculator.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School