DE coming back into Pool thru return and Polaris feed

KAMAL

Sep 5, 2011
I had found DE in my pool. Had the tech come in. He first replaced the filter manifold and three or four grids. The problem still persisted. So, he reportedly changed some more grids. I am still seeing DE in pool. The screen at Polaris inlet gets clogged with DE and small trash very quickly. I backwashed the DE filter thinking it may have too much DE and then had the Polaris disconnected. Ran the pump(s). A lot of DE was visibly coming out of the Polaris inlet. I have also notices that at least two return into my pool spa have almost no water flow.

1. Assuming that the tech fixed everything in the DE filter. What else be wrong? Or did he just miss some tears/ holes in some of the grids?
2. Can the backwash valve be the problem? Why would DE come out to pool and from the Polaris water inlet especially after backwashing the DE filter?
3. What could be wrong with the spa returns.

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks

KAMAL said:
1. Assuming that the tech fixed everything in the DE filter. What else be wrong? Or did he just miss some tears/ holes in some of the grids? My 1st guess is that he missed some
2. Can the backwash valve be the problem? Why would DE come out to pool and from the Polaris water inlet especially after backwashing the DE filter?
3. What could be wrong with the spa returns.

Thanks

Some of the pros can help on # 2 & 3

I think that the filter needs to be disassembled and carefully rechecked.

There might be a problem with the valve. It probably wouldn't hurt to disassemble it to check, clean and lubricate it.

Not sure if you are still having this problem. I had the same thing happening several years ago. After changing the grids and checking for air leaks in the system, I finally realized that the pump was drawing air into the filter from the skimmer. The air would accumulate in the top of the filter while the cleaning system was running, then it would "burp" back out into the pool through the main drain, causing DE powder to enter the pool. Turns out, this was caused by the water level being a bit low in the pool. I simply raised the water level and the problem went away!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.