Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wall liner floating from ground water. What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wall liner floating from ground water. What to do?

Due to all of the rain tropical storm Lee has dropped, I now have water behind the liner on my walls. It doesn't appear too bad at this point. It is worse is one of the corners in the shallow end. Floors look good. It appears to start mostly at the water level and goes down about a foot below water level being a small bulge of about an inch. Corners are a little worse. Should I do anything or will it go back on its own? There is a well built under the pool and I have pumped it out a few minutes ago. Liner is about 4 months old. Here are some pics I just took. There seems to be a lot of water behind the liner on the walls from what I can tell by looking and touching the liner.

31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wall liner floating from ground water. What to do?

As the ground water recedes your liner will fall back into place, but you may have some wrinkling. Some of the pool service guys can give a little more information on dealing with the wrinkles.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I kinda figured it would go back to normal on its own, but didn't know if I should do anything in the meantime. The wrinkles are really what I am concerned about. I really would like to minimize or end up with none if at all possible. I'd hate to have a wrinkled up 4 month old liner.
    31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you can fill the pool up a few inches, that would help.

5. Back To Top    #5

Got the hose in it now.

6. Back To Top    #6

WHEW!!!! I've been draining the well under the pool on and off and the liner is back in place with no wrinkles. I guess I need to start draining the well more after it rains.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I guess I need to start draining the well more after it rains.
    You need to do that during the rains rather than after. Use that pump as a preventative. If you wait until the rains have stopped you will likely float the liner again and, sooner or later, it will not go back in place.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

The pump in the well point should be on a float and should be on before or at the very beginning of a rain event.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit