Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How come they don't make trichlor pucks without cya?

1. Back To Top    #1

How come they don't make trichlor pucks without cya?

It doesn't make sence that the people who make them, wouldn't also make them without cya. They must know that after a while their customers will have too much cya. filix.
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How come they don't make trichlor pucks without cya?

Unstabilzed dry chlorine (if it existed) would disintegrate/be hard to handle and might go BOOM.

There is cal-hypo which is calcium hypochlorite, but that adds calcium.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you believe that the chlorine products have CYA added to them, but that is not the case. The various chlorine products are chemical compounds (molecules), not mixtures of chlorine with CYA or chlorine with calcium. Look at the chemical structure of Trichlor, Dichlor and Cal-Hypo. The CYA and calcium are part of the molecule itself. Compare that to sodium hypochlorite. Believe me, if it were possible to create a slow-dissolving tablet with chlorine that didn't increase CYA nor CH, it would have been invented by now. Unfortunately, the chemistry limits what is possible.

Probably the closest product that could do this would be lithium hypochlorite since it is in solid (powder/granular) form so could, in theory, be compressed into tablets, though likely would need some sort of binders just like Cal-Hypo tabs and they tend to fall apart too quickly and leave a gummy mess. Lithium hypochlorite is also VERY expensive -- over 5 times the price of chlorinating liquid, bleach or Cal-Hypo. There is also magnesium hypochlorite but it only comes in a form that has magnesium hydroxide so is very basic/alkaline.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    I think you believe that the chlorine products have CYA added to them, but that is not the case. The various chlorine products are chemical compounds (molecules), not mixtures of chlorine with CYA or chlorine with calcium. Look at the chemical structure of Trichlor, Dichlor and Cal-Hypo. The CYA and calcium are part of the molecule itself. Compare that to sodium hypochlorite. Believe me, if it were possible to create a slow-dissolving tablet with chlorine that didn't increase CYA nor CH, it would have been invented by now. Unfortunately, the chemistry limits what is possible.
    Good point, I stand corrected
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Solved the problem. Just take one part sodium hypochlorite and add one part liquid nitrogen dewar and there you go...Solid non-stabalized chlorine.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

Could go boom? People flying out of the pool? Not good. Chem Geek Thanks for the chemistry lesson. I always enjoy reading your posts. Thats just what I thought, that they added it. Now I get it! They can't make! filix.
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

7. Back To Top    #7

I am no chemical expert, but is this product just pure chlorine with nothing that increases CYA? The site also has the MSDS for the chemical experts.

http://www.usabluebook.com/p-266090-hm- ... -size.aspx
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~
    Pentair Dynamo .75/1.0 HP pump
    16" Pooline D-400 Sand Filter w/ 6-way valve

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That's calcium hypochlorite that is usually around 35% or so calcium.....another no-no if it gets too high. They are also usually not very acceptable in pools as they dissolve too quickly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

There are tabs made with Dimethyl Hydantoin and 5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin, which I think are used in some swimming pools outside of the US. Some bromine tabs contain 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-Dimethyl Hydantoin and 1,3-Dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin, such as Bio guard bromo brix spa brominating briquettes, Kem tek spa kem bromi-buoy,Bioguard brombrix pool brominating briquettes, and Dantobrom.

The only (100 %) 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-Dimethyl Hydantoin pool product I could find was Swimfree chlorinator for swimming pools, which no longer has an active registration.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=006836

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=007616

I'm not sure why 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-Dimethyl Hydantoin and 1,3-Dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin are not used in the US except for in bromine tabs. The hydantoin does build up and reduce chlorine or bromine's effectiveness, but it's not clear how much.

Other than bromine tabs, the only US products that I could find that use hydantoin based chlorine tabs are the tabs used in toilet bowl bleach tablet products, such as X-14 Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

has anyone ever tried using these x14 tabs in your pools?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by brg88tx
    has anyone ever tried using these x14 tabs in your pools?
    I wouldn't use those. They might contain some unknown problem chemical. Even if they didn't contain any other chemicals than what are listed, the dimethylhydantoin can be a problem in its own right.

Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) is really the best choice in most cases.