Holy Algae TY Tropical storm Lee~

Jun 30, 2011
Just now was the first opportunity I had to go outside and check my pool in 3 days since Lee started bombarding us Friday afternoon.

Thursday night I drained the pool 24 inches and brought my chlorine up to 13 to anticipate heavy rain.

However, today I go outside and UGH! My beautiful pool is now a nasty green color. I promptly tested and brought it up to 13 again (it was at 0, we got about 18.5 inches of rain).

Just so I can clarify, I need to shock the heck out of this pool, correct? I scrubbed as much down as I could (I'm fighting a nasty bronchitis attack, and I'm on bed rest, so this is our little secret ;)), ran the skimmer, and tried to get as much leaves off the bottom as I could. Unfortunately, I can't get in the pool to get the rest, but I'm going to toss the kids in there Wednesday to get the rest (pool water is freezing right now, I don't want them sick!)

I know it's too late now after the fact, but is there a FAQ on hurricane/tropical storm/heavy rain preparedness deal? I thought I had done good bringing my pool up to a higher level, but obviously I missed a key component...

Thanks!

Re: Holy Algea TY Tropical storm Lee~

want2swim said:
Just so I can clarify, I need to shock the heck out of this pool, correct?
Yes, follow the shocking process (see my sig). Get the debree out asap (of course without dying doing it), it will make shocking much more efficient/shorter. Let us know if you have questions! Please post test results!

I only tested for chlorine (both) because I knew there was algae).

FC was at .5 and TC was at 0.

I'm going to try to go back out in a bit and work on some more debris, funny I remained on couch avoiding housework all weekend, but here I am cleaning pool! Thankfully DH is not home or I might have some explaining to do!

I'm not a stranger to shocking (unfortunately) but I wanted to make sure there was nothing else I had to do (IE draining nasty rain water out, etc). Thanks so much Linen!!! I'll test again later tonight and post results, want a complete test? (PH, chlorine, CYA?)

No need to drain unless you are overfilled (above skimmer opening), or are expecting a lot more rain soon. Maybe test ph now and get that low ~7.2 so you are ready to shock. Sounds like you plan to test CYA, as you know, you will need that to do the shocking process properly.

Most of our hurricane prep info is to tie down loose items and raise the pool to shock level. Ingrounds can be drained to the skimmers, but above grounds need the weight of the water to protect the structure of the pool in high winds. Raising the FC to shock level is good, but if it is a really wet storm the majority of your chlorinated water will be diluted with rain water. The runoff and high winds of a tropical storm/hurricane can dump a years worth of organic debris in a pool in a couple of hours, that's why your pool was at zero when you checked it.

We went through hurricane Ike a couple of years ago. My pool went from clean and balanced to green and nasty in 48 hours. There was a ton of branches and leaves, shingles, and dirt in the pool that had to be fished out, and no power for 3 days. However, last September when my pump died, it took well over a week before the first twinges of green set in. I did add bleach and brush the pool every couple of days which I did not do with Ike, but I still think it was all the storm debris and rain dilution that set the pool on the fast track for algae after the storm.

There is only so much you can do to prep a pool for a tropical event. You do what you can and pray for a good outcome, but if you are on the "dirty" side of the storm there's not a lot you can do until its time to clean up.

Thanks Zea3- I was a bit shocked when I saw my gorgeous pool a nice shade of green blech on the bottom. It seems like I fought so much with this pool earlier this summer, and now I have to do it again. When we had our inground we tossed everything in the pool (furniture, etc) and the pool company did something for us. Of course, this was Hurricane Andrew days...

I checked my pool and I made a mistake, I made it 15 FC because I remembered that was what was recommended to me. I had mistakingly said 13 earlier when I posted this question.

my results:

FC 14.5
CC-0.5
PH 8
CYA- under 30, but not too much. I think this is because I drained 24 inches of water out of the pool in preps for the heavy rainfall. I'm very thankful I did so because it filled right back up. I need to get this back up (again).

I'm going to go dump the stuff in (lo n slo, bleach, cya in sock) and will check again in the am. I did brush the walls and to the center as well as I could and pushed it towards the sucker part (I can't think of what that is called? total brain fart!) I think I got 99% of the leaves up too!

Ph can read falsely when FC is above 10 ppm. That's why I suggested adjusting ph before going to shock level. Do you know what it was before your FC was above 10? I would skip the low and slow unless you know what your pre shock ph was. If at some point your FC drops to below 10 ppm, adjust ph then.

13 is fine (according to pool calculator for 30 ppm CYA) but make sure you stay above that as much as possible during the process. 15 is fine too, the suggested levels are minimums. You can go a few ppm above and be fine.

Suction thing=skimmer :)

Good job on the leaves...I hope you are feeling okay after all that work!

I didn't test the PH when I brought bleach up to 15 originally, previously it was at 7.8 (the 1st of September). I'm trying to keep FC around 15 as that really worked well last time :)

I just tested FC this am and it was at 13.5, but wow, pool looks awesome already. I'm thankful I caught it this soon. I do need to go test it again here shortly, and bring it back up to 15.

Unfortunately, I already added the Lo n slo and the CYA. The CYA is in a sock though so I can pull that out for the time remaining? I'm not terribly worried about bleach usage, I have 17 gallons I want to use up before I close the pool down for the winter.

I thought I didn't have a skimmer? It's what sucks the water into the filter and then shoots it out the return. Why can I not think of what it's called? I do have a skimmer attachment that screws onto the wall and uses the filter. Speaking of that, It's not doing a great job, I need to figure out something to make it so it catches the fine stuff...

(BTW when the dr says rest, he really means rest, I over did it trying to get this pool back to clean and I'm just worn out. I'm trying to stay on top as much as I can, but it's going to be every 3-4 hours unfortunately. Hopefully the algae won't take advantage of me.)

Oh and is there a way to edit my title? I know how to spell algae, but I spelled it wrong in the title. It's irritating me lol.

want2swim said:
I'm trying to keep FC around 15 as that really worked well last time :)
15 ppm is fine for your current CYA level. How much CYA have you added and is there still some in the sock? If your CYA goes up significantly, so will your target FC. For example at 50 ppm you do not want your FC level to drop below 16 ppm at any time.

want2swim said:
Unfortunately, I already added the Lo n slo and the CYA. The CYA is in a sock though so I can pull that out for the time remaining?
I would pull it out and estimate how much you have in there and adjust your CYA appropriatly. We can help, just give use an estimate of how much you think went in. The lo n slow should be fine...at some point when the FC is lower than 10 ppm you can check it. Generally you want ph low before you shock.

want2swim said:
I thought I didn't have a skimmer? It's what sucks the water into the filter and then shoots it out the return. Why can I not think of what it's called?
Do you mean your pump?

want2swim said:
I do have a skimmer attachment that screws onto the wall and uses the filter. Speaking of that, It's not doing a great job, I need to figure out something to make it so it catches the fine stuff...
Many people put a sock or ladies stocking on the basket to filter finer particles. Just make sure you clean it often. The filter should also take care of small particles. How often are you cleaning the filter?

want2swim said:
(BTW when the dr says rest, he really means rest, I over did it trying to get this pool back to clean and I'm just worn out. I'm trying to stay on top as much as I can, but it's going to be every 3-4 hours unfortunately. Hopefully the algae won't take advantage of me.)
I wish I could help you? Getting a pool back from the brink can be a lot of physical work...is there someone else who would be willing to help? Maybe your husband could leave FC at a higher level when he leaves the house so that it stays high until he gets back? That won't kill the pool. I would think you could go up to mustard algae level occasionally and not hurt the liner.

want2swim said:
Oh and is there a way to edit my title? I know how to spell algae, but I spelled it wrong in the title. It's irritating me lol.
I think you can just hit the "edit" button on your first post and change it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I added 8oz (by weight) of CYA yesterday night in a sock. I pulled the sock out now and it dumped the CYA back into a cup. It weighs 7.9oz, so not very much at all dissolved.

Just checked the FC is 0.5 the CC is 12.5. I added the bleach to bring it back up to 15 and will check it again in about an hour.

I clean my filter 2-3 times per week. I've noticed that lately it doesn't seem to be running as strong. I'm planning on investing in a heavier model pump next year, but since we are so close to closing now, it's not very practical at this point. I will try the stocking and see how that helps. It just seems like the really fine particles get stuck in the basket, and then when I pull it out they go right back into the water. I'm going to hook it up now with a stocking.

The good news is the pool does look noticeably better! I threw one of the kids in there to scoop up some leaves and brush the pool. Although it won't be to my perfectionist needs, it will do the job. Saw a fine dust come up, but the water is definitely getting better. Unfortunately DH is out of town with work, so he cannot help at this time.

I can bring this up to about 18-19 tonight and that won't hurt anything? It will help that the pool will be dark so the sunlight can't break the chlorine down as quickly, and may help to combat the algae without me fighting it every hour? Then in the morning bump it back up to 18-19 to give me a break for a couple hours?

Just one more thing: I thought that my target CC was 7? That's what I've been keeping it at (actually it's maintained pretty well, at most I had to add a few oz of bleach). The 15ppm is only while I am shocking, correct? I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused.

I'll test again in an hour and report my results. Not testing PH at this time, as I need to keep my CC up high and as mentioned i should test once I get below 10. Thanks!

want2swim said:
Just checked the FC is 0.5 the CC is 12.5.
I am assuming you meant FC 12.5 and CC 0.5...
want2swim said:
I can bring this up to about 18-19 tonight and that won't hurt anything? It will help that the pool will be dark so the sunlight can't break the chlorine down as quickly, and may help to combat the algae without me fighting it every hour? Then in the morning bump it back up to 18-19 to give me a break for a couple hours?
Yes
want2swim said:
Just one more thing: I thought that my target CC was 7? That's what I've been keeping it at (actually it's maintained pretty well, at most I had to add a few oz of bleach). The 15ppm is only while I am shocking, correct? I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused.
I think you mean your target FC was 7 when not shocking? From pool calculator using 30 ppm CYA gives me a normal FC range of 2-6 ppm. So don't let it drop below 2 ever, if you end up adding more CYA, the minimum will go up (calculate using poolcalculator.com).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.