Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is all I need is bleach or Chlorine to clear this up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is all I need is bleach or Chlorine to clear this up?

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

Pool neglected for about two months because of other pressing would like to clear this up.

First...sand filter does not seem to have strong pressure as before and water flow is not as I know I must correct that problem first. After that, Do I just run filter with Chlorine to kill algae until gone? As stands now, I know no chemicals are in pool. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Is all I need is bleach or Chlorine to clear this up?

Not quite....

Yes, you need some good circulation, so deal with that first.

Then you need a test kit.

You won't be able to test pH during the shock process, so get it adjusted first, then ignore it.

Then follow these directions. Adding bleach blindly probably won't clean it up and will surely waste plenty of bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Portland, Oregon

And vacuum all that debris to waste.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Shock the pool, brush lots, vacuum the big stuff to waste, and repeat the process until your pool clears. That's about it. Be patient though. It can take time.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT