Ideal CYA for my pool and thoughts on my readings overall.

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
I have a 21 AGP--looks pretty clear overall. No CC's. I believe the CYA level is about 25 at this point(not sure...put in over the last week or so, took forever to dissolve. ). The pool calculator states I should be at 30-50 but I have gotten some responses to stop at 30.
So here are my current levels.
I stopped chlorine for a few days so now its down to .5
I put in chlorine to bring it up to 4.5
PH was at 7.2. I added 40 oz of baking soda which should bring that to 7.5.
The TA is about 55 (as of last week) and I added 40 oz of baking soda to get it to about 70
Being I have a AGP I dont think I need to worry about CH.
We currently are getting rain but I dont *think* enough to be concerned about.

Re: Ideal CYA for my pool and thoughts on my readings overal

How does your water look?
Is your daily chlorine source liquid/bleach? If so you need to add a little every day or every other day to keep it above your minimum which is 2. I would never let it get lower than that to avoid a potential problem with algae developing. You don't need to worry about CH unless it is too high or you have new equipment like a heater that has a warranty that requires a specific CH level.
We recommend 30-50 - 50 at the start of the season as it will likely slowly drop over the season if you are using liquid. If you are using tabs a lower number is better as it will slowly climb over the season. How many more weeks of swimming do you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.