Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: best time to change sand

1. Back To Top    #1

best time to change sand

I need to change my sand after this season. Wondering if its better to do it when I close this fall and leave no sand in the filter or should i leave it and do it in the spring?

Thanks
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: best time to change sand

I don't know that leaving it empty would hurt anything, but it sure would be nice to have it ready when you open up in spring.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: best time to change sand

Quote Originally Posted by jshinklin
    I need to change my sand after this season.
    Why? Are you having trouble filtering? Not much evidence for sand "wearing out". See this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sand-...9.html#p247326

Quote Originally Posted by jshinklin
    Wondering if its better to do it when I close this fall and leave no sand in the filter or should i leave it and do it in the spring?
    As long as you drain the water, it shouldn't matter. It won't hurt the filter either way, unless you move it carelessly with the sand in, or wind blows the empty filter around during winter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.