LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last year my pool store where I bought the pool told me to use an 8x15 or 2 4x8 compensators for 15x30 pool. I went with the 4x8's and over the winter one popped the other held fine. The popped one I guess Ice got it since it was sliced. So it did its job

I did buy a second compensator again but trying to decide the best route to go

1) is 1 better than 2 especially since I had that issue

2) On the 2 I just strung rope through them from end to end, a single rope. Into the winter after a storm the compensators slid to one side, both of them. I was debating how to tie these. Should I maybe tie the 2 together in the middle and then 1 line to each end of the pool. I did not secure to the end, just threaded under uprights in case cover got to heavy and sunk them.

Two is better. If one breaks you still have the other one. The exact placement isn't too critical, though you do want them closer to the center, rather than right up against the walls. Connecting them together sounds like a great idea.

Well I have been going with two compensators since the original post, two weeks back we had that polar vortex here, the top of my pool under the cover (couple inches) and the water on top of the cover froze solid. One of my two compensators is now deflated, I guess it did its job. The other is near the end of the pool but I guess one is better than none. I had to wait for a slight thaw to pump some water off the cover, but all is good. One other thing, I left my screens in my home windows this year and my cover did not melt, at least not yet. Now the next dumping of snow and cold is coming this week. I do have an aquador on the skimmer opening and plugged return, so I can see the water level rise, at one point it was above the skimmer due to the weight of ice and snow. As a backup I have a gizmo in the skimmer, but the aquador holds as long as it is put on right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.