Need some education

Aug 29, 2011
Reidsville, NC
We have had our pool for 3 years now. We started off using Baquacil which seemed to work ok but was rather expensive. Just recently, we were told (by our pool store rep) that E-Z Pool was the way to go. We were having a bad problem with a cloudy pool so we made the switch. We were able to get the pool clear for about 2 weeks and now I have a algae problem. They (the pool store) had me add shock to clear the pool which I have done but the water is still green. I can see the bottom if I stand right over the edge. I vacuumed the pool yesterday and then cleaned the filter which did not appear to be too filthy so I don't believe I have any real buildup on the bottom. The water just has a green tint to it. I have been reading posts on this site and reading articles in the Pool School and feel like it is time that I take matters into my own hands.

I do not have a good test kit (yet) so I have no idea what my CYA level is. My test strips show that the FC level is ok but who knows what level ok is. So.. here are my questions. Do I need to determine my CYA level before I start any sort of treatment? I figure that I need to add bleach to start fighting this problem but I have not been able to find anywhere that discusses how much bleach should be added to get to shock level. I bought 2 gallons of bleach but how much should I use?

I would appreciate any pointers that anyone can give. I am hoping to have a clear pool in a couple of weeks for my son's birthday party so I am anxious to get started.

Thanks
Tom

Welcome to TFP! The first thing you need to do is order a good test kit. I have a link to the recommended test kits in my signature. Then, you need to read the Pool School. You will find a link at the top right of every page. I don't know all of the in's and out's regarding switching from EZ pool to the BBB method but BBB is the way you want to go. I am sure someone will chime in very soon to get you headed in the right direction.

There is no way to know your shock level w/o knowing your CYA level, you can get your CYA tested and the pool store but don't let them talk you into anything. Once you know your CYA there is a chart in the Pool School that will tell you your shock level. The Pool Calculator will tell you how much bleach you need to add but be sure to fill in the info regarding size and type of pool. Remember that shocking a pool is a process and not a 1 time treatment. Once you get your pool up to shock level you need to maintain that level until the pool passes the overnight test. I am guessing that the 2 gallons you have are not going to even get you to shock level. I'd go out and get several cases of bleach so you are prepared to start the shocking process.

Shocking and getting you pool right is going to be a little bit of a pain but the results will amaze you when it is finished and you will wonder why everyone with a pool is not doing this. My pool as been crystal clear since I started BBB.

Yes, you do need to know with some reasonable accuracy what your CYA level is because it ultimately governs how much bleach you have to add.

You need a test kit. TF Testkits ships very quickly; you should order one. While you're waiting for it to arrive, start pouring in Clorox. One large jug (182 oz) of 6% Clorox will raise FC in your volume by 6 ppm. If you pour in 3 of those jugs you will be slightly above shock level for a CYA in the range of 40-50. Keep your pump running and brush the bottom of the pool.

The relational amounts of CYA : ppm FC are here: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock.
The online app that calculates amounts is here: http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Your pool will likely be ready for your little boy's party.

You have come to the right place for an education.

The most important thing to learn is that you need your own, accurate, test results. For this, you need your own, proper, test kit. You can read the article in Pool School, or just skip it and head straight for http://tftestkits.net and order up a TF100. Since you're dealing with a problem, spring for the XL option. I also heartily endorse the speedstir. It seems like a chunk of change, but compare it to the cost of Baquacil....

Once that is done, head on over to Pool School and do some reading.

I'm a newbie myself, but could the greenish color come from something other than algae? I seem to remember that there can be problems with the E-Z pool chemicals.
Hope someone else has a better answer.
We were told to use E-Z pool, too, but I found this website instead and I love the BBB method :whoot:

homeschoolmoxy said:
I'm a newbie myself, but could the greenish color come from something other than algae? I seem to remember that there can be problems with the E-Z pool chemicals.
Hope someone else has a better answer.
We were told to use E-Z pool, too, but I found this website instead and I love the BBB method :whoot:
Yes it is possible. E-Z pool is copper sulfate and can tint water green. One clue is to see if the water has a green "tint" yet the water is crystal clear, or that it is green and cloudy, big difference.

Also see: anybody-have-experience-with-ez-pool-chemicals-t11050.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.