Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Small is too Small?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Small is too Small?

As in my sig, I have a 25k gal pool. It has 1.5" pipe intake and returns. From what I read, I need to calcualte the head, but right now I can only state the DE filter reads 25 when running.

The pump looks very old, and is a 2HP. Given my power bill jump of $100/month (from last house to this house in teh same city), I'd like to drop down to a smaller pump, but I'm not sure how small is too small?

Is 1HP small enough, or can I go even smaller?
    IG, 13,000 gal, concrete, DE, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG

San Diego, Ca.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Small is too Small?

As long as you don't have an in floor cleaning system, or a spa, or waterfall, or fountain, or other water feature you can go with a very small pump, perhaps a 3/4 HP. I have a 1/2 HP on my 19,000 gallon pool. Even better for saving money is to get a two speed very small pump.

If you do have a spa, in floor system, or water feature, you may need the larger pump, but you can still go with a two speed and run it on low when not using the spa, in floor system, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a floor cleaner and small combined spa that is hardly ever used. Would 1HP be too small? With the 2HP, the cleaner moves a lot faster than spec'd already.
    IG, 13,000 gal, concrete, DE, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG

San Diego, Ca.

4. Back To Top    #4

Most spa's need quite a bit of water moving fast. You may not get bubbles in the jets with 1 hp.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.