Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Covers and size

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Covers and size

I am about to finally get around to getting a solar cover and I have a few questions. I know that the reel is recommended, but I have a few issues with that and wanted to get input on what I am thinking. The reel would 1) be too hard for my hubby with herniated disc to do on his own, and 2) I worry about the dogs falling in and getting caught. I was thinking about cutting it up in large squares that would still cover a majority of the pool and would be easier to remove AND if a dog feel in, there would not be the worry of getting tangled up and drowning.
    Thoughts?? Thanks!
    B
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Covers and size

It would work, but I think you'll be surprised how heavy a wet section will be. If you can put the reel at the end of the pool, you can put wheels on it and just roll it out of the way. That would be less effort than lifting a reel or cover.

I don't think it will be a huge safety improvement either for the dogs, although it might give them a chance to get between the sections and swim. I swam under my cover a few years ago just to see what it was like, and I was amazed at the way the cover sticks to the water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

once the cover is wet.. a 6x6' section is still going to weigh alot when soaking wet.. and any smaller then that would probably become Tedious (in my opinion)
    7000 gallon 18x52 Intex Ultra-frame Vinyl AG
    1600gph/Intex SWG
    hth 6way test

4. Back To Top    #4

Get a good roller and it shouldn't be too hard. I like the rocky roller.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input!! Now I need to get er done, the cool front feels great outside but brrrrr, the pool just got too cold!!
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,