Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 6" or 8"

1. Back To Top    #1

6" or 8"

I will start building my inground gunite pool soon and am getting conflicting information about recommended gunite thickness. The pool will be 5' deep at the deepest point with 3/8" rebar on 8" centers. What would you want 6" or 8" of gunite? I know thicker is stronger but is it necessary? The additional cost will be about $1,500. The soil is high in clay content (it does crack with lack of rain). Location is south Texas.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 6" or 8"

Some people with a lot more knowledge than me will come along soon. If it turns out to be a close call, just remember you can't buy the other two inches later. What does the pool builder say about it?
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

3. Back To Top    #3

I am contracting out this pool myself and my plans call for 8". I have gotten several bids and some gunite companies decided to bid the job with 6" and tell me 8" is not necessary. Just trying to make a decision before it is too late.

4. Back To Top    #4

Go with what your designer called for.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

5. Back To Top    #5

You would be much better off going with an eight-inch thick wall.

6. Back To Top    #6

Carson:

My PB goes with 8" on the bond beam and 12" on the floor. Up to you, but I would think - and I'm no expert - that with the outside pressures that will be against the shell, the thicker the better. Just my $.02
    29' x 30' in-ground gunite, 20k gallons, superblue quartz finish
    IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator
    IntelliPro VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump (3hp)
    Pentair System 3 Cartridge filter (S8M500)
    2 skimmers, 3 wall returns, 3 floor returns, 2 drains
    StaRite Max E-Therm 400k BTU gas heater
    2 Deck jets
    SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

7. Back To Top    #7

12" Bond beam, min 3" coverage on steel, 9-10" coves. Typical in Cali....

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CARSON
    I will start building my inground gunite pool soon and am getting conflicting information about recommended gunite thickness. The pool will be 5' deep at the deepest point with 3/8" rebar on 8" centers. What would you want 6" or 8" of gunite? I know thicker is stronger but is it necessary? The additional cost will be about $1,500. The soil is high in clay content (it does crack with lack of rain). Location is south Texas.
    Thanks for any input.
    Not only does the soil crack with a lack of rain, when there is a lot of moisture, it SWELLS. Expansive soils can put lots of pressure on structures. Go with what your designer called for.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks unanimous, 8" it is. Not too much extra money to do it right. I know it couldn't be repaired for that if it were to crack or break. Thanks for the advice.