Cleaning Skimmer Basket

What's in there that's gross? Point of reference: before this 'gross' stuff collected in the filter basket it was in the water that you swim in.

Take it out, turn it over, tap it against the pool deck or the edge of a garbage can, rinse with a hose. Done. You could wear gloves, I suppose.

AnnaK said:
What's in there that's gross? Point of reference: before this 'gross' stuff collected in the filter basket it was in the water that you swim in.

Take it out, turn it over, tap it against the pool deck or the edge of a garbage can, rinse with a hose. Done. You could wear gloves, I suppose.
There are all kind of dead stuff in it. roaches, ants and GECKO's etc.. I just can't do it.... do you know if anything will help ? Vaccum etc ?

fatboysam said:
I am a new pool owner, and I am having tough time in cleaning the skimmer basket, It;s so gross. Is there any way to automatically clean it ?
Can the pool Vaccum help in this case ?

Sorry that your skimmer baskets are gross. If you clean them out more frequently--maybe twice a day--this will cut down on the grossness per cleaning.

I have black skimmers, which are frightening abysses (white baskets, thank goodness). I never know what is going to be in there amongst the many leaves and pine straw. There can be dead or live frogs & toads, baby snakes, extremely large scary bugs, live yellow jackets or bees, and the sharp things that are parts of some pine cones, along with the occasional dead baby possum. Yick. I don't go reaching in there without having my heavy duty, long-cuffed rubber gloves on.

Courage!

Lana

I haven't used one, but there is a handle called Skimmer Angel that might work for you.
skimmer-angel-picture400.png

http://www.wallwhale.com/skimmer-angel- ... -angel.php

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pumps-a ... 36900.html

fatboysam said:
If i use Vacum, then doesn't it come with a disposeable bag ? that I can throw away ...

One more thing, How frequently this Basket should be cleaned ? I clean once a week, Is that OK ?
For vacuuming, you could use a second basket without the handle. You could use a women's queen size knee-hi stocking to line the basket to catch all of the vacuumed debris.

Cleaning frequency depends on how much stuff get in the skimmer. It could be 5 minutes or five days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dear OP,

No, it is not "OK" to clean out your skimmers once a week.

I think everyone should clean them out or check them once per day. This means you are paying attention to your pool every day.

You will be not only cleaning your skimmer baskets, but also you will be checking the level of the water on your pool. You will be testing the water in your pool, you will be noting the clarity of the water: you will be paying attention to your pool!

Do you do your own water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, or do you rely on a pool service?

Junk in your skimmers left for a week at a time has got to affect your CC.

Have you studied at Pool School? Upper right hand corner of the website page.

Lana

Lana537 said:
Dear OP,

No, it is not "OK" to clean out your skimmers once a week.

I think everyone should clean them out or check them once per day. This means you are paying attention to your pool every day.

You will be not only cleaning your skimmer baskets, but also you will be checking the level of the water on your pool. You will be testing the water in your pool, you will be noting the clarity of the water: you will be paying attention to your pool!

Do you do your own water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, or do you rely on a pool service?

Junk in your skimmers left for a week at a time has got to affect your CC.

Have you studied at Pool School? Upper right hand corner of the website page.

Lana

I do check the water every other day, But I do no clean basket every day,

fatboysam said:
I do check the water every other day, But I do no clean basket every day,
You should, for an even simpler reason than listed above: all that organic debris consumes chlorine.

Chlorine is an oxidizer; it "burns" material but without flame. That's why leaves and such turn black and get slimy. Keep the baskets clean, save a little chlorine, save a little money.

Agreed, at the very least you need to look at your skimmer basket every day to see what is in there. A dead critter left unchecked can quickly lead to having to shock your pool! A pile of leaves clogging your basket can really restrict your water flow. I'm going to be thining about a gecko vac all day!

Every other day is minimum for skimmer basket cleaning. Unless it has been windy, then once or twice a day. When the skimmers have a wad of leaves and pine needles the size of a grapefruit or larger, the skimmer starts to suck air and the pump hates that. I can tell by the sound of the pump there is a problem. Also, once in awhile I find a skimmer basket door has become blocked or wedged by a branch or something and with it partially open the skimmer sucks air.

If the returns in the pool are blowing bubbles, and the water level is normal, check the skimmers next.

If you use a skimmer sock on the skimmers you don't have to grab the stuff. Just dump the debris and then upend the basket in a bucket of water to rinse the fine debris out. Allows you to go a *lot* longer between cleaning the cartridge filters. Anything small that gets past the skimmer and the pump basket goes though the pump itself (ouch) and then is stuck in the filter where the chlorine gradually makes it disintegrate, consuming chlorine in the process. Keep that out of the system by using the skimmer sock and checking it frequently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.