Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Skimmer Basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning Skimmer Basket

I am a new pool owner, and I am having tough time in cleaning the skimmer basket, It;s so gross. Is there any way to automatically clean it ?
    Can the pool Vaccum help in this case ?
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning Skimmer Basket

What's in there that's gross? Point of reference: before this 'gross' stuff collected in the filter basket it was in the water that you swim in.

Take it out, turn it over, tap it against the pool deck or the edge of a garbage can, rinse with a hose. Done. You could wear gloves, I suppose.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    What's in there that's gross? Point of reference: before this 'gross' stuff collected in the filter basket it was in the water that you swim in.

Take it out, turn it over, tap it against the pool deck or the edge of a garbage can, rinse with a hose. Done. You could wear gloves, I suppose.
    There are all kind of dead stuff in it. roaches, ants and GECKO's etc.. I just can't do it.... do you know if anything will help ? Vaccum etc ?
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure they make a gecko vacuum...

How about safety goggles, nose clip, long dishwashing gloves, and cut yourself a nice protective dress out of a black garbage bag? :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Try a shop vac.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6

But then you have to clean the gecko out of the shop vac.

Either way, it's ewww.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fatboysam
    I am a new pool owner, and I am having tough time in cleaning the skimmer basket, It;s so gross. Is there any way to automatically clean it ?
    Can the pool Vaccum help in this case ?
    Sorry that your skimmer baskets are gross. If you clean them out more frequently--maybe twice a day--this will cut down on the grossness per cleaning.

I have black skimmers, which are frightening abysses (white baskets, thank goodness). I never know what is going to be in there amongst the many leaves and pine straw. There can be dead or live frogs & toads, baby snakes, extremely large scary bugs, live yellow jackets or bees, and the sharp things that are parts of some pine cones, along with the occasional dead baby possum. Yick. I don't go reaching in there without having my heavy duty, long-cuffed rubber gloves on.

Courage!

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't used one, but there is a handle called Skimmer Angel that might work for you.

http://www.wallwhale.com/skimmer-angel- ... -angel.php

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pumps-a ... 36900.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    I haven't used one, but there is a handle called Skimmer Angel that might work for you.

http://www.wallwhale.com/skimmer-angel- ... -angel.php

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pumps-a ... 36900.html
    Yes, This should work..

If i use Vacum, then doesn't it come with a disposeable bag ? that I can throw away ...

One more thing, How frequently this Basket should be cleaned ? I clean once a week, Is that OK ?

10. Back To Top    #10

If i use Vacum, then doesn't it come with a disposeable bag ? that I can throw away ...

One more thing, How frequently this Basket should be cleaned ? I clean once a week, Is that OK ?
    For vacuuming, you could use a second basket without the handle. You could use a women's queen size knee-hi stocking to line the basket to catch all of the vacuumed debris.

Cleaning frequency depends on how much stuff get in the skimmer. It could be 5 minutes or five days.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    I'm not sure they make a gecko vacuum...

How about safety goggles, nose clip, long dishwashing gloves, and cut yourself a nice protective dress out of a black garbage bag? :~}

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Dear OP,

No, it is not "OK" to clean out your skimmers once a week.

I think everyone should clean them out or check them once per day. This means you are paying attention to your pool every day.

You will be not only cleaning your skimmer baskets, but also you will be checking the level of the water on your pool. You will be testing the water in your pool, you will be noting the clarity of the water: you will be paying attention to your pool!

Do you do your own water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, or do you rely on a pool service?

Junk in your skimmers left for a week at a time has got to affect your CC.

Have you studied at Pool School? Upper right hand corner of the website page.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Lana537
    Dear OP,

No, it is not "OK" to clean out your skimmers once a week.

I think everyone should clean them out or check them once per day. This means you are paying attention to your pool every day.

You will be not only cleaning your skimmer baskets, but also you will be checking the level of the water on your pool. You will be testing the water in your pool, you will be noting the clarity of the water: you will be paying attention to your pool!

Do you do your own water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, or do you rely on a pool service?

Junk in your skimmers left for a week at a time has got to affect your CC.

Have you studied at Pool School? Upper right hand corner of the website page.

Lana
    I do check the water every other day, But I do no clean basket every day,

14. Back To Top    #14

I do check the water every other day, But I do no clean basket every day,
    You should, for an even simpler reason than listed above: all that organic debris consumes chlorine.

Chlorine is an oxidizer; it "burns" material but without flame. That's why leaves and such turn black and get slimy. Keep the baskets clean, save a little chlorine, save a little money.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Agreed, at the very least you need to look at your skimmer basket every day to see what is in there. A dead critter left unchecked can quickly lead to having to shock your pool! A pile of leaves clogging your basket can really restrict your water flow. I'm going to be thining about a gecko vac all day!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by BadOleRoss
    I'm going to be thining about a gecko vac all day!
    sorry, I didn't understand what do you mean ?

17. Back To Top    #17

I've found that the absolutely best way to clean out the skimmer basket when it's full dead bugs, lizards, etc., is to make my kids do it.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstick
    I've found that the absolutely best way to clean out the skimmer basket when it's full dead bugs, lizards, etc., is to make my kids do it.
    4 more years for me.... lol

19. Back To Top    #19

Read that again, fatboysam... "the absolutely best way to clean out the skimmer basket when it's full dead bugs, lizards, etc., is to make WATERSTICK'S kids do it."

(You're welcome... )
    17 x 32 feet in-ground - 22,500 gallons - Vinyl liner
    Haywood sand filter (Model TBD) - Pump (TBD)
    Hot Spring spa
    Total noob...

20. Back To Top    #20

Every other day is minimum for skimmer basket cleaning. Unless it has been windy, then once or twice a day. When the skimmers have a wad of leaves and pine needles the size of a grapefruit or larger, the skimmer starts to suck air and the pump hates that. I can tell by the sound of the pump there is a problem. Also, once in awhile I find a skimmer basket door has become blocked or wedged by a branch or something and with it partially open the skimmer sucks air.

If the returns in the pool are blowing bubbles, and the water level is normal, check the skimmers next.

If you use a skimmer sock on the skimmers you don't have to grab the stuff. Just dump the debris and then upend the basket in a bucket of water to rinse the fine debris out. Allows you to go a *lot* longer between cleaning the cartridge filters. Anything small that gets past the skimmer and the pump basket goes though the pump itself (ouch) and then is stuck in the filter where the chlorine gradually makes it disintegrate, consuming chlorine in the process. Keep that out of the system by using the skimmer sock and checking it frequently.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast