Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH 40, too low for Vinyl pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH 40, too low for Vinyl pool?

I know the minimum recommended range is 50 however we the end of pool season coming I'm debating whether I should raise my CH. What are the cons of leaving it low?
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH 40, too low for Vinyl pool?

Do you mean calcium or CYA (stabilizer)? There is no minimum for vinyl.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Confirm. If, by CH, you are referring to Calcium Hardness, there is no lower limit for vinyl. Plaster pools need to have calcium in the water to prevent calcium from leaching from the plaster, but there is no such need for vinyl.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Confirm. If, by CH, you are referring to Calcium Hardness, there is no lower limit for vinyl. Plaster pools need to have calcium in the water to prevent calcium from leaching from the plaster, but there is no such need for vinyl.
    Yes I meant Calcium Hardness. I was going off of this link.

pool-school/recommended_levels
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

I too just dealt with this.. my calcium level was 20.. and i brought it up to 50.. Just to find out i didnt need to..
    7000 gallon 18x52 Intex Ultra-frame Vinyl AG
    1600gph/Intex SWG
    hth 6way test

6. Back To Top    #6

There is a minimum for the SWG for CH. No one answered why when I posed the question. It might have something to do with the SWG cell.

If anyone can clarify about calcium and SWG it would help those of us with water that would have to be raised just to get to 50ppm CH.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.