Borax questions

Sep 3, 2011
Split from borax-questions-t37998.html Butterfly
It is best to start your own thread when you have a question. :wink:

I'm a long time reader but just registered, so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong location. I recently added borax to my in-ground plaster SWG pool and everything worked out fine. Based on the warnings concerning pets drinking out of the pool, I looked up borates on the internet and noticed they are used in wood preservatives and in some wood-eating-insect pesticides. I live in the Texas Panhandle and we have a lot of paper wasps. Paper wasps are the type that build honeycomb structures out of wood pulp and their nests typically hang under eaves or other protected areas. For the 5 years we've had the pool, there has always been a constant stream of paper wasps collecting water from the pool's surface. In the heat of the day, a wasp might land every 5 minutes. After adding borax (50 ppm) about a month ago, the wasps around the pool have disappeared. The few wasps I see never land in the pool; they now get their water from the potted plants. Has anyone else with borax pools noticed a similar reduction in paper wasps? If it poisons wasps (instead of repelling them), is everyone sure this is safe for humans?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

See this thread for more information on why boric acid (in concentrated form) is toxic to insects such as ants, cockroaches, silverfish and termites that cannot excrete it compared to humans that can (it is much slower at killing bees, wasps, yellow jackets, etc. and usually only in concentrated powder form). It is also used (at up to 50 ppm dosages) in the pool products ProTeam® Supreme, ProTeam® Supreme Plus and BioGuard® Optimizer Plus®.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.