Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: polaris 3900 not water in chimney doing donuts

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

polaris 3900 not water in chimney doing donuts

My Polaris 3900 w/booster pump is doing tight donuts and no water is out of the three jets that are in the chimney. There is plenty of water coming out of the tail the little dial jet that is below the tail. The dial jet thingy is set at the 11 o'clock position. I've tried adjusting the RPM and it didn't make any difference. I've cleaned the inline filter screen. Don't know what to do now. There was a lot of debris from Hurricane Irene and I had to clean the filter bag several times a day right after the storm. I purchased my polaris in June of this year, so it might be under warranty if it isn't a simple fix. I don't mind breaking it open, but don't want to void the warranty. I've downloaded the manual and it didn't address the chimeny jets. Thanks.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: polaris 3900 not water in chimney doing donuts

Not sure; I've heard that the individual jets get clogged up sometimes.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I strongly recommend you take it in to a Polaris dealer who will take care of you. If the in line filter is not blocked it should not be clogged jets and it will most likely be an o-ring that blew out or something wrong in the water manifold system. If your cleaner is in warranty no problem. If it is recently out of warranty insist that your dealer contact the rep or Polaris customer service or call customer service yourself to direct you to the right place in your area. Polaris stand behind their products.

4. Back To Top    #4

Check to make sure that, when you rotate any of the wheels, they all move in unison. If not, check to make sure that the chain hasn't come loose. If the chain is in place check the gears. Might need to have the gear box looked at.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeRegulator
    Check to make sure that, when you rotate any of the wheels, they all move in unison. If not, check to make sure that the chain hasn't come loose. If the chain is in place check the gears. Might need to have the gear box looked at.
    just changed that part (39-200)in a customer's 3900 cleaner, WOW! was the customer not happy about that price haha

it wasn't cheap lol, how come you guy's don't have the parts separately? specifically the gears in there

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Polaris will not sell them.
    I went through this recently,
    The "Gear Box' is comprised of a lot of regular Polaris ball bearings (9-100-1108?)
    and a turbine drive similar to that used on 360/380 models.

I thought previously, given a little time and a dremel, I could fix it with those parts,
    but this was a warranty cleaner, so it never came to that, fortunately..

But, the answer to your question, is Polaris will not make the individual parts available,
    and authorized warranty centers cannot use non-Polaris parts..

-B.
    18,000 gallon in ground, plaster
    340 sq ft cartridge filter
    Jandy variable-speed 2 HP pump
    completed 6/29/12

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeRegulator
    just changed that part (39-200)in a customer's 3900 cleaner, WOW! was the customer not happy about that price haha

it wasn't cheap lol, how come you guy's don't have the parts separately? specifically the gears in there
    Great question. I don't have an exact answer for that
    I know there had been some recent "enhancements" to the cleaner including the gearbox assembly which is usually always a good thing.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

yeah Kyle told me Friday that they just redid the booster pumps(new seal design?) and the 3900, like the head float is seperate, and the gearbox is sealed.

9. Back To Top    #9

PLUS, we're releasing the Tail Sweep Pro which is supposed to prevent the tail from spraying water out of the pool. Will come standard with all the new Polaris 3900 Sport units (once released) and can be equipped to all the other Polaris pressure side cleaners.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Yeah that too!

I may start stocking those instead of the normal tail if the price is right.