Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA - Making Sure I am Understanding Pool Calculator

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA - Making Sure I am Understanding Pool Calculator

Need to bring my CYA up 60ppm - When I use the pool calculator it says 140oz by weight, or 363oz, so I need to get just over 8lbs of stabilizer powder form, or just under 3 gallons (363oz) if i buy liquid stabilizer?
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA - Making Sure I am Understanding Pool Calculator

Do you currently have any CYA in the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep

Or just buy 8lbs of stabilizer and toss in a few tablets to save a few bucks. I've only found stabilizer in 4lb buckets so you'll end up with way extra if trying to find "just over 8".

Do you have a SWG?? Any CYA at all right now in the pool?? Why such a high number?

4. Back To Top    #4

That sounds about right. You might want to stick a tape measure in and double-check the depth. And this is assuming it's a fresh fill and that there is no CYA in it already.

You haven't been feeding it pucks to chlorinate, have you?

I'd go low initially. If it asks for 8 lbs, start with 6. It's easy to add more later, hard to lower it if you overshoot.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool has been running about a week, did a couple of tests last night (tf test kit), reading 0 cya, when i talked to my installer he said that should be right because we have not added anything to raise the CYA level. Our lowes has 3lb containers, and i do have a swg
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

6. Back To Top    #6

If lowes has 3 lbs containers, I would start with 2 of those to be under some. Like richard said easier to add more than take away.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Can i just add it directly to the pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

You don't want to add granular CYA directly to the pool. The granules are acidic and can damage the surface if left in one place for too long. One easy way to add CYA is to put the granules into a sock or stocking and either put that in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return jet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

So after rain stopped yesterday morning I decided to try to get my CYA up, I added 5lbs of stabilizer (sock by the return)from Home Depot to start. We have had some cooler weather so the pool water temp has dropped 8 degrees since Friday (currently 76), I did some testing this morning and here are the levels:
    FC-11 (tested 2 times same result)
    pH-8
    TA-160
    CYA-30

I am going to wait a little longer before I add more stabilizer (calculator said 8lbs), before I added the stabilizer my FC was 1.5-2.0 is this normal? I have also been running my SWG and pump 24/7 at 100% - now that I have somewhat of a CYA level I am wondering if I should leave the running time of the pump the same (24/7)and decrease the percentage or leave the percentage the same (100%) and use the pump timer and cut back on run time. I need to lower the pH as well.

Thoughts???
    Thanks
    Clint

10. Back To Top    #10

You need to adjust pH NOW. 8 is too high.

Definitely cut back on the SWG percentage; you'll burn it out quick running it full blast. And with some CYA in the water, you lose less to sunlight, so you don't need to generate as much. Your FC jump is expected.

Pump run time will take some experimenting. It's more art than science - trial and error - unless you have a flowmeter. pool-school/pump_run_time explains it, and saves me some typing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Took some quick measurements this morning before work (pool temp has dropped 15 degree's since Friday), I did not get a chance to measure CYA I will do that this afternoon after work:

FC - 13
    CC - 0
    TA - 160
    pH - 7.8

I added more acid to reduce the pH - why is my FC getting higher? Yesterday morning (6am or so), I turned my SWG down to 70%, with the readings this morning I turned it down to 50% - would the 5lbs of stabilizer and the cooler temps be a contributor? Having a CYA of 0 - the pool calculator said to add 7.8lbs, so I started with 5, if my CYA is still low tonight should I add more or wait until my FC level drops? I am not sure how much longer the cooler weather will last.

Thanks
    Clint

12. Back To Top    #12

The cooler weather and the increased CYA level will both affect FC usage and therefore your swcg is overproducing. Just keep turning it down till you're in range.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I wouldn't test CYA right now. Use the calculator to determine what the 5 pounds did and go with that value. Test in about a week to verify it.

The reason you added the CYA is so your SWG won't have to work so hard to chlorinate, as you see... it works pretty good. Saves the life of your cell too.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.