new filled pool turned coffee brown after shock. iron?

armstrr

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2010
Sarnia, Ontario Canada
well...lesson learned.

i came home to find the pool guy had the liner in and was filling with my two hoses. i hooked up my sump pump, let it run for a few minutes and grabbed a glass and had a drink...(i know...not too swift). tasted fine to me and looked crystal clear, so i threw it in the pool and by my estimation, it probably filled 70% of the pool.

i could see a slight greenish tinge to the newly filled pool... so i pulled out my test kit and did some reading. obviously, FC was 0, so fearing i was looking at an algea bloom beginning, i added enough bleach to raise the FC to 6ppm. an hour later, the water looked like steeped tea. i could not see the floor of the shallow end.

i figured i was looking at the results of the clorine killing the algea...but doing some reading, it appears i more than likely have a high iron content. i filtered for half a day straight and cleaned the cartridges...they were very dirty but cleaned up reasonably well.

i did some more reading and realized, that the best thing would be a complete dump and refill with just the city water. unfortunately, unless i get the pool builder to put the vacuum pump back on, i cant completely drain the pool (he said no less than 4" in the shallow end). so i am currently pumping it out.

dang.

so is this the best idea? it seemed the filter (420 sf pentair clean and clear cartridge) was removing the suspended iron...i just think it would take a long time to get it anywhere close to clear with the current amount of iron in it.

guess i should see if the local health unit can test and tell me how much iron is in my well (sump pump) water...

Ok, so I drained It down to 4" above the shallow end. I went into the pool and could see quite plainly mounds of precipitated iron.

So if I keep the chlorine level high enough, will all the iron eventually precipitate out and allow for vacuuming/ filtering?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.