Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: DRAINING POOL WITH TROPICAL STORM

DRAINING POOL WITH TROPICAL STORM

So I had a SWG failure last week and had to do an emergency shock and unswamp. My pool water level was low and I added roughly 6 inches of water.

Turns out now the pool is back to blue and slowly clearing up (thanks TFP) but good-ole TS Lee is putting the hurt on my water level. I'm close to overflowing and I'm sure it will before the weekend is over (maybe tonight). What is the best method for draining the pool. Do I just open the top valve on the filter housing?

Is there anything I need to do to the pool with the storm dumping rain? My new salt cell is in the mail (thought I would get it today) and I've been maintaining the FC level around 4-7 until then (and until it's fully clear again).

Any and all advice is appreciated.
    25k gallon rectangular, Cartridge filtered
    New AquaRite T-15 cell and board
    IG Plaster, No idea of pump size/flow rate
    TF-100 kit with the K-1776 salt kit
    Polaris 280
    Still learning, but I've been to pool school!

Re: DRAINING POOL WITH TROPICAL STORM

Does your cartridge filter have a lower drain port? You could turn the pump off, open the air valve on the cartridge filter and then open that lower filter port. You could then turn the pump back on and let it drain that way. Of course, that would only work if the water can flow away from your equipment.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

When Hurricane Irene blew through here last weekend, I turned the pump to "waste" then turned it off from the circuit breaker in the house. I ran the hose from the pump across the yard to a ditch in the back. Once the rains started I monitored the level with a pair of binoculars. My main concern was perhaps loosing power but Thank God we never did! I had to flip the switch on the circuit board 5x! This way you don't have to run out in the storm.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

I don't think the filter has a lower drain port, but I will check it out
    Polaris 280

Does it have "Backwash?" Using Backwash is slower than waste but will drain the pool.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

I had to deal with the same thing last weekend. I turned by indake valve toward the main drain and stuck my cleaner hose out the back of my yard, then turned the pump on. It worked great and allowed me to stay ahead of the water.
    17x39 Rectangular, 20,000 Gal, Plaster, Pentair Easy Touch Automation and Remote
    Pentair WhisperFlow 2 hp pump with Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Master Temp Gas Heater, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II Cleaner
    ..and one frog that thinks the pool is his.

OperatorX, I can relate to your signature quote, "...and one frog that thinks the pool is his." Every other day I find a frog swimming happily in my pool. After the hurricane came through I found a dead snake in my skimmer.

DRAINING POOL WITH TROPICAL STORM

Don't run in backwash mode for extended periods. I know of one guy that left an industrial sand filter on BW and the sand ate a hole in the side of the filter housing
    ~26700 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    Compupool CPSC48 SWG installed 3/26/2012, Cell Failure, near meltdown in July 2013 :(
    K-2006 Test kit

With a cartridge filter, couldn't you just open the filter up, remove the cartridge and (with the filter still open) run the pump? Water would just spill out of the open filter and (at least in my case) onto the grass surrounding my pad (which is raised 12 inches or so). Or is that "bad"?
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

That would work in theory, but where's the water going to go? The ground can only soak up so much, especially if it's already saturated with rain.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

The neighbors yard? J/K Now that my pool is clean again and full of fresh water, I need to add 120 lbs of salt. This seems high to me...?
    Polaris 280

Did you use the Pool Calculator to get that? I had to put 80 lbs in mine with all the rain from Irene.

Yes I did. I was at ~2800 before the storm. now I'm around 2200. Think I'm going to bring it up to 3000, 800 ppm requires 160 lbs for a 25k gal pool
    Polaris 280