Need help getting my pool clean

Apr 3, 2011
Katy, Tx
I've been running the BBB method, no problem, everything has been great for about 8 months now. However here latley with the temps here in Houston getting to 106, my water temp is up to 94 and I think the algee is loving it.

I've been shocking it, using liquid chlorine, I had my chlorine up to about 8 for about 4 days, running the filter 24hrs per day, and cleaning the filter twice a day. Yet its not getting any cleaner than when It started getting bad last week. I've also been running the pool rover at least once a day.

I know we have a lot of trees, plants, etc dying in the area, due to drought and we get a lot of dead leaves etc. in the pool daily.

My numbers, as of about an hour ago:

TC - 3
PH - 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 190
CYA - 40

And here's a beautiful pic of my pool, beleive it or not, its only 48" deep and that is a pool rover at the bottom.

pool.jpg

Any ideas?

Hello Richard,

For a cya level of 40 I get a minimum shocking level of 15 ppm FC (using poolcalculator.com), 8 ppm FC won't do it. When shocking try to not let the pool drop below that value. Also, follow the shocking process including the three criteria (see my sig) before you stop. Let us know if you have questions.

rwrogers11 said:
I have the TF-100 as well as the Taylor K-2005 test kits, yet neither have instructions for how to use the DPD powder to test CC. The Taylor kit just test the TC. Can someone tell me how to test for CC.
I beleive the Taylor k-2005 can only do FC and TC. For the TF-100 the CC test is done with the same sample as the FC test. Read the whole FC instruction section again, it should be towards the end.

Now would be the time to manually start that injector back up. 3ppm is your very minimum FC with a 40ppm CYA pool. I would expect an early evening test result with the chlorine injector off to be more like 4-6ppm, and then expect it to inject another 2ppm the next day to keep it in that range. I don't know much about injectors so I could be off on those numbers but to make sure you stay above the minimum I'd want the pool to be in the mid-high range for your CYA level any time you test.

Do the OCLT (overnight loss test) at the high range for your CYA level (7ppm). And an absolute must if you're doing the OCLT, make sure the injector is OFF. OCLT's are best done at or above the high target or even better, at shock level.

frogabog said:
Do the OCLT (overnight loss test) at the high range for your CYA level (7ppm). And an absolute must if you're doing the OCLT, make sure the injector is OFF. OCLT's are best done at or above the high target or even better, at shock level.
Good point frog...I vote shock level since the pool appearance suggests that we will be doing the shocking process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.