Have manual heat, but no control from EasyTouch Panel

Jul 29, 2011
Limerick, PA
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can help but throught I'd throw this out...

I have a Pentair Easytouch automation panel with a Pentair MasterTemp Heater. The heater works fine when operating it from the panel on the heater but not when operating it from the panel. I have verified the heater is activated in the panel and a setpoint is established. I have a two-wire connection from the automation panel to the heater. It is connected to the 24VAC fireman's control switch in the heater. Based on all documentation I can find, the connections are setup correct. What I can't determine is how the heater should act when functioning from the panel. My theroy is that when the panel is told by the temp sensors connected to the panal that the water temp is below the setpoint, it should apply 24VAC to the fireman's control swich and turn the heater on until it reaches the set point. Then, it should turn the heater off. Is this assumption correct? If so, then I've got some problem which I will need to hunt down. Because my panel is not doing anything to control turning the heater on.

Thanks for any input/insight anyone can provide.

When there is a call for heat from the EasyTouch, the EasyTouch merely closes the connection of the two wires. The heater should be left in an "on" state from the panel on the heater, with the thermostat turned all the way up(hottest setting). Then the EasyTouch opens and closes the connection as it needs to heat.

Thanks so much. That was the problem. Had the set point too low on the heater so it would never come on. Have now adjusted it to 104 and can now control from the automation panel.

So, next question. I have a two speed pump. Is it better to heat the pool on in low or high mode? I can see in low mode that the water is heated longer as it moves slower, but in high mode it moves more heated water. Any thoughts?

Thanks again...

With a 2 HP pump it probably doesn't make much difference. Nominally, the heater is more efficient at higher flow rates. However, heaters can be damaged if the flow rate is too high, so they all contain an internal bypass to prevent too much water from flowing through the heat exchanger. With that pump you are probably at least close to the cut off point even on low speed, so high speed won't help much if at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.