Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you run your pump non-stop?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you run your pump non-stop?

Just wondering if others keep their pump on 24/7 ? I leave mine on all the time unless obviously needing to clean the filters. Electrical usage has not been a problem so it's just been easier to let it run. Are there pros and cons of doing this? No real issues with my pool chemical balance, so this is just question I've been wondering about.
    13K Gal, In-Ground, Fiberglass, Cartridge filter (Jandy CL340 127 flowrate), 1 HP Pump (Jandy PlusHP)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you run your pump non-stop?

I only do it if I have a gut feeling that a newly added chemical hasn't had time to thoroughly mix in or if I, god forbid, have to shock the pool.

As far as down side to doing this? Besides electricity usage (which you already addressed), I can just think of the life of the pump might drastically be reduced.
    22,000 inground Fiberglass
    DE Filter Pentair FNSP 48
    Century Centurion 1.0 HP 1.25 S.F. 3450 RPM

3. Back To Top    #3

I run mine about 8 hours a day.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I run mine quiet a bit. Reason being is I do my testing later in the day and add chemicals usually right before bedtime so cant really turn it off. Also when I have turned it off I forget to turn back on during the day.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I run about 14-18 hours a day, since I have poor circulation. Two non-adjustable returns (but one gets almost all the pressure), a skimmer with no weir (and no place to put one) and a main drain that doesn't pull at all since it's plumbed into the skimmer and there's no way to adjust which it pulls from. So I have to run longer than most.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm on my 5th year and generally run mine 12-24 hrs/day.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

7AM-7PM In summer.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I run a two speed, and I run low 23 hrs, high(for the Polaris) 1 hour. That being said, my electric bill has gone down from my previous 1 speed 12hr day pump. It's better for the pool, I think-steady state chemistry, so to speak.
    20k gal. 36' In ground Med. Blue plaster, two-speed EcoPump EP6, Pentair 3.14 sq. Ft. Sand w/zeosand, Spectralight SL 500, RayPak 2100 heater, Polaris 360,GE Timer 15087, Borates 80 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a large pump for my size pool so I run mine from 7-7 each day. It also comes on from 2am-3am to circulate for a while. I bought a timer from Amazon and have been very pleased with it. Electric bill went down and my water is still clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

We run ours 24/7/365 to make DH happy. He was a shark in a previous life.

I am glad that we run the pump 24/7 when the cover is off 7 to 8 months out of the year because leaves and dead pine needles are constantly falling into the pool from April to October. With the skimmers working all the time, virtually no leaves fall to the bottom, so we rarely have to vacuum.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

11. Back To Top    #11

6hrs per day.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

12. Back To Top    #12

Pool is 27 years old and have run the pump 24/7 and gone through 3 pumps.
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

13. Back To Top    #13

5 1/2 hours a day in one of the hottest summers in Houston history. Water has been beautiful. One of the benefits of an oversized pump. Late fall/winter I will cut it back to about 3 hours a day.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you run your pump non-stop?

I run from about 7-midnight then 5-9 or 10 am.

I don't run it during peak hours as we get daily warnings at work when it's over 100 outside to turn things off we are not using because the electrical grid is so taxed already.

One electric co lost a generator and they talked about starting rolling brownouts
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I run 24 hours per day since last October. It's still running. I think pump life isn't any more by running 24 hrs/day vs turning it on and off daily. Once it begins, there is less resistance within the pump.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I open my pool very early April and close it in November.
    In that time the pump is never off.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

I have a two-speed motor, so it runs on high-cycle from 2pm to 6pm, and low-cycle the rest of the time. My electric bills are lower now than they were in our old house that didn't have a pool, so I see no reason to change it.

18. Back To Top    #18

Last year, I ran my pump 10 hours a day in 5 hour increments. I was vacuuming twice a week.

This year, although I planned to do the same thing with the pump, I never got around to setting the timer, so it has been running non-stop since April. Now, (with the exception of pollen season,) I vacuum about every other week. I also added a Skim-It this year which has made a big difference in getting stuff off the surface before it sinks.

I don't know how much is attributable to the pump and how much to the Skim-It, but it's a lot easier to keep it clean this way. (Of course, the electric bills are higher. )

(The pump is slowly dying, and I wish it would just finally quit so I can go buy a two-speed.)
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.