Friend has high phosphates

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have a friend that couldn't make it to her regular pool store to test the water and went to another location of the same company.

Her normal store never has issues with her water, all levels are in the normal range. She took it to the new place and they said her phosphates are over 9000 and at an unsanitary level and tried to sell her phosphate remover.

If she maintains the chlorine regularly (has a SWG system), is that still too high a level? I know some people here maintain their pool at high levels, and as long as chlorine is kept in check its fine. I suggested she should take hit today to her normal place and ask them to test for phosphates as well.

Suggestions?

Pool stored. They couldn't let her leave without selling her something.

I have never had my phosphates tested and have no idea what they are. But I maintain my pH and FC and my pool is sparkling. If there is no algae, who cares? Phosphates are fuel for algae. Wood is fuel for a fire. No flame, who cares how much wood there is?

Sounds like her regular store was treating her right. It would be interesting to see what they say when she asks for the phosphate test, but that is opening a can of worms. I would let sleeping dogs lie.

By the way, why the pool store tests? Was there a concern that drove this?

I suggested she should take hit today to her normal place and ask them to test for phosphates as well.
I would suggest that she go to her normal place and never mention phosphates again.
Actually, I would first suggest that she get her own test kit, do her own water testing, and still never mention phosphates again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.