Is my PH low or high?

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hi all,
My phenol red test results are orange. The color guide shows colors yellow and then into purplish/pink shades. So is my reading above the pink, or below the yellow? I have a tf-100 test kit on the way, but in the meantime I'd like to know if it's high or low. Thanks.

the colors going from low pH to high pH are yellow 6.8 and lower, yellow orange 7.0 , orange 7.2, orange red 7.4-7.5, red 7.6-7.8, red violet 8.0 , violet 8.2 and higher
If the color is orange red to red with no pink or violet you are golden.

Based on these colors, your pH sounds like it is about 7.2.

Why are there only yellows, pinks and purples on my color guide if orange is 7.2? I'm not at home now but 7.2 on my color guide is a shade of pink/purple. Certainly not orange.

An extra drop and it stays orange. Maybe a LITTLE darker orange.

Here's a link to a poor quality picture with a color guide like mine. Look at the color guide on the right of the test kit and you'll see that there are no orange markers.
http://www.lifeguardequipmentandapparel ... estkit.htm

I was thinking you had the K-1000 kit. It's colors are a little different and that's what the colors Butterfly posted are for.

I'd say run a sample to the local pool testing place and see what they say it is. pH is one thing they usually get pretty close on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.