Re: CYA....what would you do

Building Science Guy said:
I have a pool around 17' x 38' x 5.5 deep. My CYA is at "0" and need to know how much I need to buy/install to bring up to the right level. I have a SWG, but it stopped working a month or so ago, and I think I need to buy a new one (OUCH! = $400.00). What would you do?
You might want to start your own thread, you'd get more responses.....then go to the pool calculator and plug in your pool volume and the type and correct level of CYA you are trying to achieve.

Re: CYA....what would you do

Building Science Guy said:
I forgot to add my chemical results as of today-
FC= .5
CC= 1
PH= 7.5
TA= 90
CH= 490
CYA= 0

I think the mods will split this into its own thread soon.

What sort of testing was done here, your test kit or strips or at a pool store?

pH and TA are fine.

Your FC is too low and you need to have some CYA. Please read Pool School.

CYA is what protects the chlorine made by the SWG from sunlight. With no CYA chlorine is gone in moments... No longer in the pool to fight organics like algae, sweat, bird droppings, suntan lotion, snot, urine, etc.

Your CC is too high, indicating that chlorine is being consumed by some sort of organics. That does tell us that chlorine is in the pool, it is just being used up by organics and by the sun too fast.

CH, if that is correct, is very high. That will take some monitoring to keep the pool from scaling. Is this in California or Nevada? You may be able to correct with a partial water change but you would need to know the CH of fill water and if you are under water restrictions that may not be a good idea to dump water.

You need to shock the pool based on the CC reading. To do this properly follow the directions in Pool School. First get CYA up to 30 ppm. Use the Pool Calculator to figure that volume. Then raise FC to 12 ppm with bleach, keeping it above 12 ppm at all times. Retest hourly at first. When you have passed all tests and are done with shocking, you will raise CYA to 60 - 80 depending on your location. After that, you may need to review the SWG settings, for you will probably be able to turn it down which extends the life of the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.