Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My CYA is zero

1. Back To Top    #1

My CYA is zero

Please start your own thread when you have a question. Butterfly

I have a pool around 17' x 38' x 5.5 deep. My CYA is at "0" and need to know how much I need to buy/install to bring up to the right level. I have a SWG, but it stopped working a month or so ago, and I think I need to buy a new one (OUCH! = $400.00). What would you do?
    Jason (Building Science Guy)
    17' x 38' x 5.5 ' = 26,200 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster, Eco-Matic (Mod# ESC 36) SWG salt water pool, RayPak Heater (Mod# P-R405BL-EN), Pentair DE FNS Filter (Mod# FNSP 24), A.O. Smith E Plus 3/4 H.P. 1.67 S.F. Pump. Garden Grove, Orange County, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA....what would you do

I forgot to add my chemical results as of today-
    FC= .5
    CC= 1
    PH= 7.5
    TA= 90
    CH= 490
    CYA= 0
    Jason (Building Science Guy)
    17' x 38' x 5.5 ' = 26,200 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster, Eco-Matic (Mod# ESC 36) SWG salt water pool, RayPak Heater (Mod# P-R405BL-EN), Pentair DE FNS Filter (Mod# FNSP 24), A.O. Smith E Plus 3/4 H.P. 1.67 S.F. Pump. Garden Grove, Orange County, CA

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Building Science Guy
    I have a pool around 17' x 38' x 5.5 deep. My CYA is at "0" and need to know how much I need to buy/install to bring up to the right level. I have a SWG, but it stopped working a month or so ago, and I think I need to buy a new one (OUCH! = $400.00). What would you do?
    You might want to start your own thread, you'd get more responses.....then go to the pool calculator and plug in your pool volume and the type and correct level of CYA you are trying to achieve.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Building Science Guy
    I forgot to add my chemical results as of today-
    FC= .5
    CC= 1
    PH= 7.5
    TA= 90
    CH= 490
    CYA= 0
    I think the mods will split this into its own thread soon.

What sort of testing was done here, your test kit or strips or at a pool store?

pH and TA are fine.

Your FC is too low and you need to have some CYA. Please read Pool School.

CYA is what protects the chlorine made by the SWG from sunlight. With no CYA chlorine is gone in moments... No longer in the pool to fight organics like algae, sweat, bird droppings, suntan lotion, snot, urine, etc.

Your CC is too high, indicating that chlorine is being consumed by some sort of organics. That does tell us that chlorine is in the pool, it is just being used up by organics and by the sun too fast.

CH, if that is correct, is very high. That will take some monitoring to keep the pool from scaling. Is this in California or Nevada? You may be able to correct with a partial water change but you would need to know the CH of fill water and if you are under water restrictions that may not be a good idea to dump water.

You need to shock the pool based on the CC reading. To do this properly follow the directions in Pool School. First get CYA up to 30 ppm. Use the Pool Calculator to figure that volume. Then raise FC to 12 ppm with bleach, keeping it above 12 ppm at all times. Retest hourly at first. When you have passed all tests and are done with shocking, you will raise CYA to 60 - 80 depending on your location. After that, you may need to review the SWG settings, for you will probably be able to turn it down which extends the life of the cell.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: My CYA is zero

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    I think the mods will split this into its own thread soon.
    Done.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!