New build North Fort Worth!

shcuck said:
So i was wondering if you are concerned about the flagstone and salt water. I have heard both good and bad stories.

No, not really. All of the PBs we talked with use flagstone with SWG and said if you seal it every couple years you won't have a problem. Most of the private pools I have seen in this area use flagstone and I haven't had anyone complain about it or warn against it. What are you using?

we are using Bullnose Precast Copping. I have some friends that have Flagstone with SWG and they had to redeck as it was coming apart in layers. the PBs we spoke to consistently said that the Flagstone we get here in TX is not very good for SWG so they would not guarantee it would not flake.
So with that and what we have seen from our friends, we choose to go down another path. But who knows, maybe things have changed and there is better quality flagstone now.

i will say that we have had some what i would call minor flaking with our OK Flagstone coping and even some on the flagstone from the SPA overflow. IMO, it's not a big deal. I will be sealing mine again before swim season next year since we are nearly done this year. With the SWG, it's SO much easier to keep your pool chems (mainly chlorine) at the level where it should be.

Tuesday morning, after 4 days, the decking and tile was completed. After lunch a large crew started framing the decking and laying rebar. Wednesday they put together the HUGE slide and expanded the deck to allow room for it! Thursday was inspection and yesterday the poured the deck.

Turbo twist slide...
slide.jpg

Pool and slide...
slide2.jpg

Decking...
deck3.jpg

Flower bed around house...
deck.jpg

Walk-way to pool bath...
deck2.jpg

Monday they will send the clean-up crew, Tuesday pebblesheen, Wednesday acid wash and then we start filling the pool. It should be full Thursday afternoon, 3 weeks from start of dig! Not much longer until we will be swimming :party:

Today they cleaned the pool to prepare for pebblesheen tomorrow, acid wash Wednesday and then they start filling the pool!

Our exposed aggregate decking was installed and then it rained heavily a few hours later. The decking is now splotchy. You can see in the pictures above that there are white patches in some places. Will it always look like that or is it part of the curing process? I am not very happy about it if it stays like that!

ETA: I found this information about exposed aggregate...

After a period of one to two weeks a process of “acid washing” is carried out to remove any “lime bloom” from the surface of the concrete (white or milky patches) as well as cleaning any cement from the surface of the aggregate.

Any type of (unsealed) stone's susceptibility to damage from salt water is largely dependant upon the chemical composition of the stone. Calcium carbonate based stone, such a limestone, marble and travertine, is most susceptible. The permeability and porosity of the stone are also important. For underwater stone, the chemical balance of the water is most important.

You could ask the builder to get information from the supplier about the particulars of the stone. You could put a small piece of the stone is a weak acid solution to see if it dissolves or bubbles. You could try vinegar or dilute muriatic acid.

Note: Muriatic acid can be dangerous and care should be taken when handling and using. Don't use full strength to test. Don't do the test in a in a sealed bottle. Don't try if you are not comfortable using acid.

I think that flaking or delamination of the layers of the stone is mostly due to the inherent structure of the stone and not predominately due to exposure to water.

Monkey's Mom said:
Monday they will send the clean-up crew, Tuesday pebblesheen, Wednesday acid wash and then we start filling the pool. It should be full Thursday afternoon, 3 weeks from start of dig! Not much longer until we will be swimming

Looking GREAT. I am sure you guys are really excited of taking that first splash :)

3 weeks was not bad at all. We seem to be going at a similar pace as you guys. We are 1.5 weeks into it since the dig started and they are forming the deck tomorrow. So I calculate the they should be plastering early next week.

Regarding the deck coloring, I would not worry, it should even itself out with time (well that is what I think) :)

Keep us posted. Cant wait to see your finished pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Shcuck! I am confused reading the start-up post in swim school compared to what my PB has said. The pebblesheen crew should be here today to acid wash the pool and then we are supposed to start filling the pool. It should be finished filling sometime tomorrow evening. I believe (I could be wrong) that our PB said someone would come teach us about the equipment and put chemicals in the pool Friday and we could be swimming by Monday. Pool school here says no salt for 30 days but I am pretty sure he plans on adding salt next week. What is your start-up process?

I am not sure yet about the start up process. I just checked with the PB scheduler and we are actually about 1.5 weeks out still before they plaster, because of the other steps that need to take place (Final clean up, inside clean up, sprinkler reroute, refence, etc, etc) so I am not really sure about the start up process, but when they come by, I will ask them about the salt process and I will let you know.

Everything I've read and what our PB did was wait 30 days prior to adding salt. If your PB wants to add prior to that, I would certainly ask why and whether it would be OK to wait 30 days. The only reason you need salt is to start up your SWG. You don't need to start your SWG to balance your water. You can use chlorine during that timeframe rather than using the SWG.

Thanks X, I will ask what the plan is and ask about adding salt next week vs waiting 30 days. I wasn't sure if PebbleSheen was different than regular plaster.

Shcuck, thanks for checking. We still have final clean-up, sprinkler re-route, re-fencing, installing the slide (he wanted to wait until the pool was ready just in case any of my kids decided to test out the slide it wasn't into an empty pool lol!) and leveling the ground with top soil. It seems we are so close, yet so far away.

Monkey's Mom - Now that you are in the home stretch are you satisfied with your pool builder? Are there any watch outs that you would recommend I keep an eye out for? Anything you wish you would have done different or known about that you do now?

I spoke with my PB today and just as "X" suggested. The reason for the 30 day delay on salt is to help the Plaster cure and to avoid staining. He mentioned that for the first 30days we will used normal chlorine.

Hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.