How Low Do You Go

cramar

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Sault Ontario
This is our first summer with a pool and our nights are getting pretty cold, most of the daytime heat is reclaimed by low night temps. Initially I said 74 was the lowest temp I'd go swimming, then it was 73, then 72 and the other night I hit 71....it was actually quite refreshing once the initial shock blast wore off.
I've started calling myself the spiteful swimmer :lol:

Just wondering what is the lowest temp others will swim at.

Dude... you got a ways to go before you are braver than my kids... Talk to us again when you're swimming at 60 degrees!

Course they only do that at the beginning of the season. It's been 68-70 degrees in the pool the past week, and no one wants to swim when it's cloudy and chilly but there's some hope for this weekend with a forecast of 90.

I still haven't swum yet this year. They beg and lie like dead dogs about how warm it is in their shameful attempts at getting me to jump in but it doesn't work. Then they splash me and I run screaming about how mean they are like the puzzy that I am :~}

We have been swimming in fairly cool temps for a bit now as our pool is shaded most of the day. It has been 70F and holding and the kids are still enjoying it. This is our first year with the pool and I was wondering when us Canadians will shut down the non-heated pools. I am planning a solar job for next year though.

How low? 66 degrees and the initial plunge is shocking!

My water gets down to 66 and stays there during the last few weeks I have the pool open, roughly from Columbus Day til Veterans Day. Daytime highs can still get pretty warm here in VA during the early fall. If I'm out doing yard work and get hot and sweaty, I'll take a dip when I'm done. It's refreshing, but I don't linger!

frogabog said:
Dude... you got a ways to go before you are braver than my kids... Talk to us again when you're swimming at 60 degrees!

Course they only do that at the beginning of the season. It's been 68-70 degrees in the pool the past week, and no one wants to swim when it's cloudy and chilly but there's some hope for this weekend with a forecast of 90.

I still haven't swum yet this year. They beg and lie like dead dogs about how warm it is in their shameful attempts at getting me to jump in but it doesn't work. Then they splash me and I run screaming about how mean they are like the puzzy that I am :~}
AMEN.. Cant wait for this weekend! Been getting the new pool all dialed in and invited some guests over for sunday! :whoot:

Frigabog, what area of PDX are you in?

Even with her wetsuit on, my weanie daughter won't get in if it is below 84. Needs it at least 88 to venture in without the wetsuit. She won't believe it when I tell her the temps you guys have posted!

NWscott said:
AMEN.. Cant wait for this weekend! Been getting the new pool all dialed in and invited some guests over for sunday! :whoot:

Frigabog, what area of PDX are you in?

We're in SE near Mt. Scott Community Center. 5 blocks to a public pool that leaves their eyes all red, but it does have a cool 3 story slide and water park features. I have yet to be bold enough to ask to test it...

Been waiting for some NW folks to show up here, much less someone from the city! Woot!

I don't think most people around here put their pools up till maybe a few weeks ago. Lamest summer in a looooong time. This weekend is going to be nice, we need it. This last hurrah weekend can be rainy so I'm glad to see it before school starts. We're usually on the river this weekend salmon fishing, but with the boats needing repair, we'll be lucky to get out for some winter weekends and hopefully ready to go for springers next May.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will probably attempt pool water at 82-85 outside temp below 80, depending on how this coming weekend goes, I don't really want to run the heater much for 1 swim, but if we have two days that are 80+ I will probably get it up to at least 86-87. I'm fairly certain the water is around 78-80 right now and the outside temp is 74 (realfeel 71), yuck - it's going to get down to 48 tonight!! :cry:

We were up at Lake Superior last week, I measured the water at 55 F...we were not in for long. Yesterday noon the pool was at 72, the kids swam for awhile but did spend a good deal of time in the hottub. Pool got up to 77 with solar by supper time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.