Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Low Do You Go

1. Back To Top    #1

How Low Do You Go

This is our first summer with a pool and our nights are getting pretty cold, most of the daytime heat is reclaimed by low night temps. Initially I said 74 was the lowest temp I'd go swimming, then it was 73, then 72 and the other night I hit 71....it was actually quite refreshing once the initial shock blast wore off.
    I've started calling myself the spiteful swimmer

Just wondering what is the lowest temp others will swim at.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Low Do You Go

You Canucks! My husband is Canadian (London) and will go in at 68 F but that was on a dare and just a dip. Me, I need at least 74 F and it has to be much warmer than that outside.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

78 degrees is about as low as I would go.
    18 X 54 Round-Wilbar-Sharkline Above Ground Tahitian
    Stainless steel access panel/ 1.5 hp pump
    Self Installed 6/09
    Crushed by Irene, and a 50ft oak 8/28/11
    Re installing 4/12 and up and running

4. Back To Top    #4

Dude... you got a ways to go before you are braver than my kids... Talk to us again when you're swimming at 60 degrees!

Course they only do that at the beginning of the season. It's been 68-70 degrees in the pool the past week, and no one wants to swim when it's cloudy and chilly but there's some hope for this weekend with a forecast of 90.

I still haven't swum yet this year. They beg and lie like dead dogs about how warm it is in their shameful attempts at getting me to jump in but it doesn't work. Then they splash me and I run screaming about how mean they are like the puzzy that I am :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

We have been swimming in fairly cool temps for a bit now as our pool is shaded most of the day. It has been 70F and holding and the kids are still enjoying it. This is our first year with the pool and I was wondering when us Canadians will shut down the non-heated pools. I am planning a solar job for next year though.
    15'x52" Summer Escapes AGP with 1000GPH pump and side skimmer/filter system

6. Back To Top    #6

We are wimps. If the water isn't at least 80 my KIDS won't even get in. And I won't touch the water unless it is at least 84, though I prefer 88.
    Cindy

4.8 K gallon AGP: sharkline opera 12'x17'x52"
    Sandpro 4511 sand filter and pump

7. Back To Top    #7

How low? 66 degrees and the initial plunge is shocking!

My water gets down to 66 and stays there during the last few weeks I have the pool open, roughly from Columbus Day til Veterans Day. Daytime highs can still get pretty warm here in VA during the early fall. If I'm out doing yard work and get hot and sweaty, I'll take a dip when I'm done. It's refreshing, but I don't linger!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Dude... you got a ways to go before you are braver than my kids... Talk to us again when you're swimming at 60 degrees!

Course they only do that at the beginning of the season. It's been 68-70 degrees in the pool the past week, and no one wants to swim when it's cloudy and chilly but there's some hope for this weekend with a forecast of 90.

I still haven't swum yet this year. They beg and lie like dead dogs about how warm it is in their shameful attempts at getting me to jump in but it doesn't work. Then they splash me and I run screaming about how mean they are like the puzzy that I am :~}
    AMEN.. Cant wait for this weekend! Been getting the new pool all dialed in and invited some guests over for sunday!

Frigabog, what area of PDX are you in?
    7000 gallon 18x52 Intex Ultra-frame Vinyl AG
    1600gph/Intex SWG
    hth 6way test

9. Back To Top    #9

Even with her wetsuit on, my weanie daughter won't get in if it is below 84. Needs it at least 88 to venture in without the wetsuit. She won't believe it when I tell her the temps you guys have posted!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by NWscott
    AMEN.. Cant wait for this weekend! Been getting the new pool all dialed in and invited some guests over for sunday!

Frigabog, what area of PDX are you in?

We're in SE near Mt. Scott Community Center. 5 blocks to a public pool that leaves their eyes all red, but it does have a cool 3 story slide and water park features. I have yet to be bold enough to ask to test it...

Been waiting for some NW folks to show up here, much less someone from the city! Woot!

I don't think most people around here put their pools up till maybe a few weeks ago. Lamest summer in a looooong time. This weekend is going to be nice, we need it. This last hurrah weekend can be rainy so I'm glad to see it before school starts. We're usually on the river this weekend salmon fishing, but with the boats needing repair, we'll be lucky to get out for some winter weekends and hopefully ready to go for springers next May.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

11. Back To Top    #11

I will probably attempt pool water at 82-85 outside temp below 80, depending on how this coming weekend goes, I don't really want to run the heater much for 1 swim, but if we have two days that are 80+ I will probably get it up to at least 86-87. I'm fairly certain the water is around 78-80 right now and the outside temp is 74 (realfeel 71), yuck - it's going to get down to 48 tonight!!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]