Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How things are out in Texas

1. Back To Top    #1
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How things are out in Texas

This is my 36th year in SE Texas and I can tell you this is the worst I have ever seen it. We can only hope the weather pattern changes and we start getting some rain soon.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have to say, I couldn't begin to imagine it until I saw those photos.
    I hope things turn around and you get the much needed rain that keeps avoiding you.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We may get rain this weekend.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

It's very sickening to see these pictures knowing the masses of not only pepole but wildlife that can't survive due to lack of water. Here in Okla we've been burning the last three days and more fires keep starting up! We can only hope the supposed cold front this weekend brings us much needed rain to the south!!

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

6. Back To Top    #6

It kinda freaks me out that those images are over a month old.

I hope things look up soon. Very sad, all the devastation this is causing.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sigh.... TS Lee went way east of us so still no rain. Just more hot and windy weather. 50+ days of 100 and 5.8 inches of rain this year at my casa. I love summer time, but I am so ready for it to be over this year.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

8. Back To Top    #8

Weather man is calling for highs here to be in the 70's on Monday. I'm laughing my butt off at that forecast until it actually happens! Lol still blazing hot today, although it is cloudy. Guess it could be worse w/ no clouds...

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

9. Back To Top    #9

Heartbreaking.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

10. Back To Top    #10

I work for AgCountry Farm Credit Services as a Loan Officer up here in ND and thank God we dont have drought. We are actually WAY TOO WET up here. Funny how mother nature is kicking our butts this year. Our crops look good where the hail didnt take it out. Lets hope you all down south get some of our moisture and it settles down up here as well. Here in Jamestown, our resevoir and Pipestem Dam is flooding and our river through our town is bulging. They say we will have very high river flows all the way to January in order to evacuate enough water from the resevoir/dams that makes us ready for the 2012 spring thaw!

Crazy weather!
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

11. Back To Top    #11

We will not be getting rain anytime soon.

12. Back To Top    #12

That Sucks. Wish I could ship some of ours your way. Its cool up here today. High of 73.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

13. Back To Top    #13

We got a little rain last night, but not much to really do anything.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the 60's now. I think that we might be nearing the end of this thing.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    In the 60's now. I think that we might be nearing the end of this thing.
    Maybe temp wise, but not rain wise. We need rain. So the low temps are nice, but the drought temps or not are not helping.

16. Back To Top    #16

Irene came just close enough to dust the car windshield.... then the huge wall of black scattered. So sad. So many leaves in the pool from stressed trees the water was dull for 2 days.

Yesterday there was a huge fire just down the road from me. I'll guess 5 miles but it could have been way bigger and just farther away. Lots of fire engines heading that way. The fire fighters are spread so thin. The wind was blowing away from us.

Smoke smell in the air this morning but the sky is brilliant blue and amazing cool temps. Still dry though. I've switched the pool to Fall run times to try to capture daytime heat now.

I wonder what The Woodlands will look like next year with so many of the trees dying.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

17. Back To Top    #17

If things weren't bad enough already... Map of current Texas wildfires We really need rain! You know its bad when you want a tropical storm to come your way!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

I've sent the following brochure out to most of my local email list http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/u...ion%20Plan.pdf

I got a bit spooked after taking a drive this evening. Dropped in on mom a few miles away and she comments, "I guess you'd take the convertible if you had to evacuate." Uh, hadn't really been thinking about that. Drove west and saw this big cloud, wow, maybe we might have some rain, eh? Consulted that fire map just posted and, no, that is the fire to the west of us. That's not fog around the street lights, that's smoke. Little fires to the south of us contained now. Bigger fire to the west of us, not so much.

Got to thinking about how fast things could have gone up if that strong wind had been blowing the other way a few days ago. Not sure where that fire was, but dead pines go up pretty fast. Jump a highway? Sure, with that wind.

What WOULD I take? How long is a fire proof safe good for? I read that the most important thing to take is photos, to prove the condition of the house when you left. Important papers, small valuables, food and meds. Pick up flammables from the outside, patio furniture, welcome mat, check the roof for pine needles. How much time might one have? Gee, I thought this only happened in California. OK, yes, I am overdoing it right now. Not an emergency, but I do like to be prepared.

Reading that brochure above, clear the ground of dry leaves and pine needles. Uh, in The Woodlands? That is called mulch. It covers the greenbelts all over here and most of the yards as well.

We really, really need rain. Not with lightning though, just rain.

BTW, that WunderMap is not all that current. The Tamina Road fire that I saw yesterday is listed there as not verified and it is already out and residents who evacuated are returning. Still better than the TX Forest Service map http://ticc.tamu.edu/Response/FireActivity/ that does not even show it at all.

19. Back To Top    #19

Well it looks like SE Texas is about to get another round of near 100 degree days with no rain. I really liked the weather in Texas up until this year. At this rate of rainfall we will not break ten inches at my house this year compared to a normal 50 inches. To look at all of the dead trees and vegetation is down right depressing.