Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump: Pool or Spa mode

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump: Pool or Spa mode

I don't get it. What's the difference in pool mode or spa mode? The water still goes in through the inlet and out through the outlet. What is the difference in these settings on a heater? Thanks.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat pump: Pool or Spa mode

I'm no expert but I'd guess it's the temp it heats to or the length of time it runs.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm....I wonder if it's the temp it heats to as you say. I doubt it's the runtime as it will run until it reaches the set temperature. I guess I could check it by seeing how high each setting (pool or spa) allows me to set the temperature. Never thought of that.
    Bestway SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is that way. It lets you set a temp for pool and a temp for the spa that's all.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mikespoolfl
    Mine is that way. It lets you set a temp for pool and a temp for the spa that's all.
    x2
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

6. Back To Top    #6

Ahhhh.....ok...so i can set different temps for the pool and the spa (if I had a spa)....and switch the setting when i change the valve to pump to the spa. Is that correct?
    Bestway SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that's correct. It allows you to set two different temperature settings for systems that switch between a spa and a pool. For those systems, there should also be another connection or component (such as a flow switch or In-house electronic control system) that tells the heat pump which mode to go to. In your case, if is just a pool, there may be a manual switch to select between spa or pool setting, then its just a matter of what the thermostats are set to.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Tip: If you only have a pool, set the Spa Mode temperature to the same temperature as the Pool Mode in case the heater is ever accidentally turned to Spa mode.

9. Back To Top    #9

Gotcha. Thanks guys. Also, I figured out last night you can set the pool temp to a maximum of 95 degrees, and the spa to a max of 104 degrees. Thanks for the responses folks. It all makes sense now. I hate having something and not knowing how it all works!
    Bestway SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah. I had some dilemma with that too. I have interest in pool heaters but not much knowledge about them so after reading the discussion I get a better idea now. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

For me - (I know this is an old topic - sorry) my pool maxes out at 83 on the heater, but the spa setting allows me to go higher sOOOOOO I'm testing the warmer setting because I know my little one is gonna want it to be a bit warmer today (it's chilly.)
    12'x24' Aqualeader Sentinelle 54" deep AG (approx. 7000 gallons) with Jandy jxi 260,000 btu gas heater, Hayward Aquatrol salt system (SWG). nature 2 water purifier - to install next year since we started midseason. 1.5hp pump and 22.5" sand filter. Install July 2017. Testing with HTH test strips and at pool store. Still working out my chemical, pump, and heater schedule. Solar cover and reel not yet installed.

12. Back To Top    #12

My bad- I was able to raise my pool setting - hopping in soon.
    12'x24' Aqualeader Sentinelle 54" deep AG (approx. 7000 gallons) with Jandy jxi 260,000 btu gas heater, Hayward Aquatrol salt system (SWG). nature 2 water purifier - to install next year since we started midseason. 1.5hp pump and 22.5" sand filter. Install July 2017. Testing with HTH test strips and at pool store. Still working out my chemical, pump, and heater schedule. Solar cover and reel not yet installed.