Putting More Tropicality into Your Locality Zone 6b Style

Oct 16, 2007
South Central PA
Here are a few pics from my backyard pool area here in south central PA ...

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

Hope you enjoyed ...

Re: Putting More Tropicality into Your Locality Zone 6b Styl

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! What type of palms do you have and how do you get them to survive the winters? I have spent alot of money on tropical plants, banana trees and palms this summer and now I'm worried about them not making it through the winter. I had planned on bringing them inside, but they grew so much larger than I expected them to in just one season. If yours survive in PA, maybe mine will be okay here in northeast Alabama.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

How do you keep them alive through the winter? Here in Central Texas our banana tree and hibiscus didn't survive the winters and our Sago and Palmetto Palms barely recovered each spring. We don't anywhere near as cold here as it does in PA!

Thanks to all for the nice compliments ...

Ivyleager --- We get some japanese beetles in July but , they haven't been too bad the last couple years ...

Samantha in AL --- Japanese windmill palms , pindo palm , mexican fan palm , sabal minors and needle palms . These all need protection in PA . I would think a lot of these would grow unprotected in your area depending on your low temps for the winter .
For bananas musa basjoo , orinocos , blood bananas , red abbyssinian , pink velutina , thai black and a few others . The basjoo are left in the ground . The others are dug up and stored inside , some in pots and some bare root .

Harry H3 --- Lots of protection ...
Seriously the hibiscus gets no protection . They are hardy here . The only banana that I leave out is musa basjoo . Borderline hardy here ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Shane1 --- Just some of the bananas and all of the cannas and elephant ears .
Lantana responded well to digging and repotting last year so I am going to try that again as well .
It's really not that hard and it's great exercise !!!

The Mediterranean fan palm (Chamaerops humilis), also known as the European Fan Palm Tree is quite cold resistant. If the temp gets below 10 they may have to be protected, but in most climates they do well.

I've got a few in my yard, but our all-time record low is 6 degrees. It is rare for it to get in to the teens.

@ Tikifarmer, I am also in S. Central PA (Lancaster area) and am looking for a local pool builder. Can you recommend who built your pool? You can PM me if you wish.
thank you!

tikifarmer said:
Thanks to all for the nice compliments ...

Ivyleager --- We get some japanese beetles in July but , they haven't been too bad the last couple years ...

Samantha in AL --- Japanese windmill palms , pindo palm , mexican fan palm , sabal minors and needle palms . These all need protection in PA . I would think a lot of these would grow unprotected in your area depending on your low temps for the winter .
For bananas musa basjoo , orinocos , blood bananas , red abbyssinian , pink velutina , thai black and a few others . The basjoo are left in the ground . The others are dug up and stored inside , some in pots and some bare root .

Harry H3 --- Lots of protection ...
Seriously the hibiscus gets no protection . They are hardy here . The only banana that I leave out is musa basjoo . Borderline hardy here ...

Stupid question but What do you do for winterization? I know you dig them up and bring the into a garage or something similar but do you need to water them at all? Just wrap the root ball?

Your yard is beautiful

Lr9788
Some of the bananas I pot and keep in the house in a sunny room (some water once a week). Trying to get away from keeping them in the house . It can get a little messy . Any leaves that are produced indoors over the winter die off immediately upon taking them back outside due to "sunburn" anyway . Unless you have the time and inclination to " harden them off " .
Musa Orinocos and Ensete Maurelli are dug and stored barerooted in the cool/dark basement (no water) . They keep very well this way . See attached pic ...
Blood bananas are potted and stored in the basement ( a little water every 2 weeks).
Musa Itinerans I potted and kept in the garage with good success .
There are no hard and fast rules . Whatever works . Some varieties take storage better than others . Some take bareroot storage others don't . A little trial and error ...
I have had pretty good success with musa basjoo overwintering in the ground .They die back but still grow to 10' or more ...

P1010011-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.