Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting More Tropicality into Your Locality Zone 6b Style

1. Back To Top    #1

Putting More Tropicality into Your Locality Zone 6b Style

Here are a few pics from my backyard pool area here in south central PA ...

Hope you enjoyed ...
    23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Putting More Tropicality into Your Locality Zone 6b Styl

Enjoyed! Beautiful!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Boy have I got work waiting for you in Texas..........................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Very nice!

Any bug issues with that many plants???
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! What type of palms do you have and how do you get them to survive the winters? I have spent alot of money on tropical plants, banana trees and palms this summer and now I'm worried about them not making it through the winter. I had planned on bringing them inside, but they grew so much larger than I expected them to in just one season. If yours survive in PA, maybe mine will be okay here in northeast Alabama.

Thanks for sharing your photos!
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

WOW I didn't know that was possible that far north. Very nice
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow - so beautiful! I didn't know you could grow these plants there. Enjoy !!
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

8. Back To Top    #8

How do you keep them alive through the winter? Here in Central Texas our banana tree and hibiscus didn't survive the winters and our Sago and Palmetto Palms barely recovered each spring. We don't anywhere near as cold here as it does in PA!
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks to all for the nice compliments ...

Ivyleager --- We get some japanese beetles in July but , they haven't been too bad the last couple years ...

Samantha in AL --- Japanese windmill palms , pindo palm , mexican fan palm , sabal minors and needle palms . These all need protection in PA . I would think a lot of these would grow unprotected in your area depending on your low temps for the winter .
    For bananas musa basjoo , orinocos , blood bananas , red abbyssinian , pink velutina , thai black and a few others . The basjoo are left in the ground . The others are dug up and stored inside , some in pots and some bare root .

Harry H3 --- Lots of protection ...
    Seriously the hibiscus gets no protection . They are hardy here . The only banana that I leave out is musa basjoo . Borderline hardy here ...
    23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Thats pretty awesome! Looks more like Hawaii! Did I read you last post correctly.....you dig most of this up every year?
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Shane1 --- Just some of the bananas and all of the cannas and elephant ears .
    Lantana responded well to digging and repotting last year so I am going to try that again as well .
    It's really not that hard and it's great exercise !!!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

The Mediterranean fan palm (Chamaerops humilis), also known as the European Fan Palm Tree is quite cold resistant. If the temp gets below 10 they may have to be protected, but in most climates they do well.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

chiefwej --- I have a pretty large med fan palm in a pot that I have been thinking about planting but , it will need to be protected . We got down to -2F last winter ...

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I've got a few in my yard, but our all-time record low is 6 degrees. It is rare for it to get in to the teens.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Nursery told me to cut banana trees off at base and cover heavy with mulch.. i am in cent pa too....
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks very nice! Lots of work though

HarryH3; there are some cold-hardy hibiscus; they're commonly called "rose of sharon," at least around here.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

17. Back To Top    #17

FYI if anyone is looking for hardy banana (musa basjoo) cheap, check out http://northerntropics.mybisi.com/ . Company was extremly nice to work with. Bought numerous banana, went to wrong address by Post office, they replaced the plants free of charge. Plants were very healthy and had great growth.
    44,000 True L Vinyl, 1.5hp 2 speed WhisperFlo, 100 sq/ft Quad DE, IC60

18. Back To Top    #18

@ Tikifarmer, I am also in S. Central PA (Lancaster area) and am looking for a local pool builder. Can you recommend who built your pool? You can PM me if you wish.
    thank you!
    16 x 32 vinyl In-ground Lagoon; Shallow pool 3' to 5'; Buddy Seat; IntelliBrite 5g LED; Pool Pilor Digital SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320; Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS; Pentair Sand Shark. My Construction Thread - Spring 2012

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by tikifarmer
    Thanks to all for the nice compliments ...

Ivyleager --- We get some japanese beetles in July but , they haven't been too bad the last couple years ...

Samantha in AL --- Japanese windmill palms , pindo palm , mexican fan palm , sabal minors and needle palms . These all need protection in PA . I would think a lot of these would grow unprotected in your area depending on your low temps for the winter .
    For bananas musa basjoo , orinocos , blood bananas , red abbyssinian , pink velutina , thai black and a few others . The basjoo are left in the ground . The others are dug up and stored inside , some in pots and some bare root .

Harry H3 --- Lots of protection ...
    Seriously the hibiscus gets no protection . They are hardy here . The only banana that I leave out is musa basjoo . Borderline hardy here ...

Stupid question but What do you do for winterization? I know you dig them up and bring the into a garage or something similar but do you need to water them at all? Just wrap the root ball?

Your yard is beautiful

20. Back To Top    #20

Lr9788
    Some of the bananas I pot and keep in the house in a sunny room (some water once a week). Trying to get away from keeping them in the house . It can get a little messy . Any leaves that are produced indoors over the winter die off immediately upon taking them back outside due to "sunburn" anyway . Unless you have the time and inclination to " harden them off " .
    Musa Orinocos and Ensete Maurelli are dug and stored barerooted in the cool/dark basement (no water) . They keep very well this way . See attached pic ...
    Blood bananas are potted and stored in the basement ( a little water every 2 weeks).
    Musa Itinerans I potted and kept in the garage with good success .
    There are no hard and fast rules . Whatever works . Some varieties take storage better than others . Some take bareroot storage others don't . A little trial and error ...
    I have had pretty good success with musa basjoo overwintering in the ground .They die back but still grow to 10' or more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast