Flexible PVC and Smooth fittings...avoid at all costs.

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Just a live and learn here guys. I went to the pool store---got everything I thought I needed to hook up my pump and filter. The owner of the store cut me some flexible PVC to hook up between pumpo and filter along with 2 threaded to smooth fittings. This will NOT work. I learned the hard way.
Only threaded to barbed fittings will work. I dont care how many clamps you put on, unless you have a very weak pump the clamps are not enough to hold the PVC hose on and keep it from leaking.
When i told the original pool store my issue they said I would have to get a plumber---essentially not their issue. Dopes. How some of these guys in pool stores are able to operate with so little knowledge of their business is beyond my realm of understanding.

gdog2004 said:
How some of these guys in pool stores are able to operate with so little knowledge of their business is beyond my realm of understanding.
That is why people are here.

gdog2004 said:
2 threaded to smooth fittings. This will NOT work.
I don't think I have ever seen a non barbed nipple, if it is not too much trouble, could you post a pic?

Flexible PVC is really not designed to be clamped. It has internal reinforcing that keeps it from collapsing. Flexible PVC should be glued into schedule 40 PVC fittings.

The stuff I have used between the pump and the filter is clear with a reinforcement web. I am pretty sure it is PVC? It works well with clamps. I agree that the white opaque flexible PVC stuff does not work well with clamps, too stiff.

gdog, was yours white opaque?

I know this has been discussed before, the pipe we have in Europe must be different but looking on the web I have found the flexible PVC pipe labeled as schedule 40 pipe for the US.
Flexible20pvc.gif

This can either be glued into fittings or used with the demountable compression fitting which makes it very handy.
compressionfittings.jpg

Is the pipe you are discussing different?

teapot, that is the pipe I am refering to as opaque white pvc, we will have to hear from gdog to see if that is what he used. Those look like nice compression fittings! How reliable are they compared to a glue joint?

The tubing that has worked for me is a clear reinforced PVC I have gotten is on the bottom of this catalog page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/99/=dv30f9 It is more flexible than the typical flexible pool pvc and works well with hose clamps. I am using it between my pump and filter with 1 hose clamp on each nipple joint. I got it a my local fleetfarm (kind of a big box store locally, might be able to get it a home depot).

Heres what I mean by flexible PVC and the smooth pool fitting.

[attachment=2:1oczjiq6]flexPVC.jpg[/attachment:1oczjiq6]

[attachment=1:1oczjiq6]thumb-Pool fitting.jpg[/attachment:1oczjiq6]

What you need with the flex PVC is this..

Attachments

• flexPVC.jpg
    flexPVC.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 555
  • thumb-Pool fitting.jpg
    thumb-Pool fitting.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 538
  • barbed.JPG
    barbed.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 582
gdog2004 said:
Heres what I mean by flexible PVC and the smooth pool fitting.

[attachment=2:pfsg762w]flexPVC.jpg[/attachment:pfsg762w] That's schedule 40 flex pipe as I described

[attachment=1:pfsg762w]thumb-Pool fitting.jpg[/attachment:pfsg762w] That fitting is a poolside fitting for the very thin flexible used on pool cleaning brushes etc
What you need with the flex PVC is this..
That fitting is for thin flexible with a cuffed end and tube clamp for the pipes from pump to filter etc, not for schedule 40 pipe

Linen, no problems so far with the compression fittings for flexy.

gdog2004 said:
smooth pool fitting.
Ohhh now I know what you are talking about. Yeah, I have not liked those fittings with there "ability" to fit two different pipe sizes. When I have used them, I only use them where there is something resisting the separation of the joint and I have low durometer tubing (something that conforms) that I am attaching.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.