Best tile and stainless cleaners/methods

Jun 17, 2011
NW Florida
I have about 225 linear feet of 6" tile (porcelin, I think) from water level up, and stainless laders and handrail in and above the water.
We use a red scouring pad with a cleaning gel designed for the job on the tile which I think is less abrasive than 3M's green Scotch-Brite pads. We clean about once a week to remove the body oil, skin, etc that forms a scum :p It works ok- but I thought I would get some more advice before getting another bottle.

The stainless cleans up well with an automotive stainless cleaner, but takes a long time by hand. We may try a power buffer. It is clean and shiny underwater, so that is no problem.

Thanks for any advice and help!

Mike

FWIW, Dollar Tree distributes a copycat magic eraser that is just as good as those expensive Mr. Clean ones. And you get two for a buck.

I would think the debris from the magic eraser sponges would be no different than any other debris in the pool. The filter or the vacuum will get it.

I would use gloves if you are using magic erasers frequently. They have no chemical but are like a super-fine sandpaper, which will do a real number on your hands if you use them under water and apply lots of pressure--removes skin and you end up with a red burn. I do like them for greasy dark marks and for shining the ladders.

For routine scrubbing, I use baking soda that I've purchased in bulk at the beginning of the season. I pour half a cup at a time on a monster car-wash sponge to scour the tile line, letting the soda dissolve quickly into the water. With a big pool it shouldn't skew your water balance---but you might want to check if you use a lot. (It does dissipate quickly, so you have to move fast.)

I also notice I have a LOT more scum issues when I have many mermaids in the pool. They do love their hair-care products, body lotion, etc! Wish we had a solar shower poolside :?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.