Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best tile and stainless cleaners/methods

1. Back To Top    #1

Best tile and stainless cleaners/methods

I have about 225 linear feet of 6" tile (porcelin, I think) from water level up, and stainless laders and handrail in and above the water.
    We use a red scouring pad with a cleaning gel designed for the job on the tile which I think is less abrasive than 3M's green Scotch-Brite pads. We clean about once a week to remove the body oil, skin, etc that forms a scum :P It works ok- but I thought I would get some more advice before getting another bottle.

The stainless cleans up well with an automotive stainless cleaner, but takes a long time by hand. We may try a power buffer. It is clean and shiny underwater, so that is no problem.

Thanks for any advice and help!

Mike
    Commercial,100 K, Liquid chlorine, Indoor, Heated to 86 with Jandy Lite 2 gas heater, High-Rate Sand Triton TR-100 filters (3), 7.5 HP pump motor, IG, Plaster.

Jesus is my Lifeguard!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best tile and stainless cleaners/methods

I like using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    I like using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

Scott
    On the tile or the stainless?
    Been considering those for our new hot tub as well but concerned about them breaking down while wet, Do you see this happen?
    Brand new IG gunite and plaster approx 18,500 gallons measured at fill from H2O meter.
    Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge 420 CU.FT.
    IntelliFlo VS-3050 VS+SVRS Pump
    Polaris 280 Cleaner
    Intellitouch automation
    TF100 Test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

FWIW, Dollar Tree distributes a copycat magic eraser that is just as good as those expensive Mr. Clean ones. And you get two for a buck.

I would think the debris from the magic eraser sponges would be no different than any other debris in the pool. The filter or the vacuum will get it.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I wonder if getting the sponge in the water while cleaning tile will add harmful detergents? http://www.troublefreepool.com/soapy...tml?hilit=suds
    Commercial,100 K, Liquid chlorine, Indoor, Heated to 86 with Jandy Lite 2 gas heater, High-Rate Sand Triton TR-100 filters (3), 7.5 HP pump motor, IG, Plaster.

Jesus is my Lifeguard!

6. Back To Top    #6

I would use gloves if you are using magic erasers frequently. They have no chemical but are like a super-fine sandpaper, which will do a real number on your hands if you use them under water and apply lots of pressure--removes skin and you end up with a red burn. I do like them for greasy dark marks and for shining the ladders.

For routine scrubbing, I use baking soda that I've purchased in bulk at the beginning of the season. I pour half a cup at a time on a monster car-wash sponge to scour the tile line, letting the soda dissolve quickly into the water. With a big pool it shouldn't skew your water balance---but you might want to check if you use a lot. (It does dissipate quickly, so you have to move fast.)

I also notice I have a LOT more scum issues when I have many mermaids in the pool. They do love their hair-care products, body lotion, etc! Wish we had a solar shower poolside
    20 X 40 inground gunite. 38,000 gallons, Jacuzzi Dial Valve Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 pump. 40 + yrs in (fairly smooth) operation thanks to cussedness and a tiny bit of hydraulic cement.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all of you for your time and input!

Jesus is my Lifeguard!