Trying to get closure...

Nov 7, 2010
I think this got lost in another post so i started a new thread.

We left our pool open the first year but want to close it this winter for the first time. I've read everything I can but still have a few questions,

1) I'm getting a new Loop Loc mesh in a few weeks, but we get a lot of rain/snow and the water level is going to raise back into the skimmers eventualy, do you just watch it and keep pumping it out to keep the water level down below the skimmers? Why plug the skimmers if the water level is kept below them?

2) Is the exposed dry plaster a problem when draining down below the returns? I keep hearing it has to stay wet or it can crack.

3) We have a big compressor and can get air to the main drain, but to seal it off do you just turn the hayward valve between 2 settings and leave it?

4) I guess the Polaris pump/line drains the same way....just blow it out?

Thanks,
Leasa

1. I let it go back up (little choice, really). The idea is that you drop the level in order to be really sure that the pipes are empty, and then once they're plugged they will stay empty

2. I've never heard of it being a problem, and as per #1 it doesn't stay dry all winter.

3/4. Your plumbing sounds enough different from mine that what I do wouldn't apply. Sorry I can't help on these points.

I've heard the same, but have never been able to find any good way to prevent it. People talk about pumping more out throughout the winter to keep it below the tile (though not the returns) but in Boston there is zero possibility of that given the amount of snow and number of freeze/thaw cycles in a typical winter. I lose tiles, and tolerate it. When we need to resurface I'll do plaster all the way up.

Maybe there's a better way, about which someone will be along to enlighten us both!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.